free website stats program Loose exhaust nuts | Harley Davidson Forums

Loose exhaust nuts

cdn-bigfoot

Does anyone have a suggestion guaranteed to keep my exhaust flange nuts tight? HD torque specs are only 80 in-lbs. After a while the nuts loosen. I've tried Loctite and it seems to make things worse. I've heard there is high heat Locktite that is good to 450 degrees. Will this work or am I asking for more grief?

Does anyone have a suggestion guaranteed to keep my exhaust flange nuts tight? HD torque specs are only 80 in-lbs. After a while the nuts loosen. I've tried Loctite and it seems to make things worse. I've heard there is high heat Locktite that is good to 450 degrees. Will this work or am I asking for more grief?

Loctite 272 High Temperature/High Strength

Provides a fast cure on most surfaces including "as received" fasteners. Recommended for bolts up to 1.5" (36 mm) in diameter. Heat and hand tools are required for disassembly. Temp. range: - to 450ºF.

More grief

Have you considered a star washer

You can use a center lock lock nut , should be able to get them at any hardware store , they'll stay tight and when needed will come loose without having to put heat to them and by heat i mean a flame .

This may sound weird to some but I use High Temp Never Seize and My bolts stay rock tight and never had a problem removing them either..
That is probably because by adding never-seize compound you are in fact lubricating the threads so when you torque them you are probably over torquing them?

I've heard there is high heat Locktite that is good to 450 degrees. Will this work or am I asking for more grief?

If your talking about the flange right where the exhaust pipe meets the cylinder head, that area will see way above 500 degrees.

Double nut the studs if you have enough room.

Glider and I AGREE and may I suggest that you get a thin JAMB nut and DON"T over tighten as it can pull off the threads,,,, check after a run or two to see if the torque is GOOD on the first nut than re apply the jamb nut.

One thing I found was MY problem before using the DOUBLE NUT, I WAS NOT ALIGNING THE PIPES INTO THE EXHAUST PORTS GOOD ENOUGH AND LATER THEY WOULD SELF ALIGN AND NATURALLY loosen the nuts but not if they are doubled...

IT always seemed to be the BACK BOTTOM ONE on my sporty.. MISSING

signed....BUBBIE

I would NOT suggest using any type of glue. You may want to take those off some day, and you do NOT want to twist off the stud in the cylinder head. Use some sort of mechanical system like a jam nut, lock washer, star washer etc.

But I do think Bubbie's got a point about aligning the pipe with the head.

TQ

Like Bubbie says, on the Sporty, it is the rear top and bottom flange nuts (have to remove the chome shroud to have enough room for thin walled socket to fit. Found nut from the top stud lying in the web of the casting below. Used lock washer and has never been a problem since. Do not use locktite and very light bit of oil to prevent binding. :s

Back