free website stats program Looks like it's not the battery that's the problem | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Looks like it's not the battery that's the problem

Like they say, make sure your battery is at 12.5 or more. This is 24hr after recharge.
Perform a V/D test. take your volt meter and put one lead to the battery pos. and the other to the starter. Crank the engine and watch the voltage.
It should read (0). If it reads any voltage then you have a problem beween the battery and starter. You can do the same on the neg. side. Battery neg. to starter housing (0) volts. This is in the cranking mode only!

Update 3/22 I have since charged the battery over night on a Battery Tender it held the charge at +12.36 vdc. When I hooked it up, the same problem exists, just the clicking sound. Now I decided to get into some of the more involved testing based on the info Glider posted.

I want to check the starter solenoid. My question what is the best way to get to the solenoid wire on a 2002 Fatboy? It is up behind the oil tank and exhaust and is really not easily accessable?
Thanks

Battery Tender should have been able to float charge that battery to OVER 12.6-12.8V fully charged battery...should read about 13.5 or more if "just" taken off the charger. It indicates that you may have a bad cell which is "sucking" most of the charge voltage needing to get the rest of the cells over 2.1V each...!

You STILL probably have a bad battery (1 of the cells is internally shorted (with sulfation salts shorting out the metal plates). Unfortuantely the case probably is not translucent so you can see if there is white deposits on the bottom of the cells.

Back