free website stats program Looks like a new motor is on its way | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Looks like a new motor is on its way

Check your insurance policy, many have a tow service that will tow (haul) the bike to the nearest facility to fix it.

Took my bike out for a ride and 30 miles later it sounded like a chorus of hammers hitting an anvil. Warranty ended in Sept. I would not think this should be happening to a 2 1/2 year old bike. Now I have to figure out how to get it to the dealer in Waterford for a repair estimate. Hopefully it is minor but the way my luck has been I highly doubt it. I have a funny feeling I will not be doing any riding this year. :(

I may have a simple solution for you. Couldn't you just remove the hammers and anvil? (Man, I really hope that's as funny to you as it is to me! :bigsmiley12:)

If you can find out, I would like to know what caused the damage to the oil pump. Is there any chance you can do the work yourself?

Hope you can get back on the road soon!

Well the bike is no longer under warranty ended in Sep 09. I did learn a valuable lesson for all this. Either I do my own work or the bike goes directly to the dealer 2.5 hours away for any thing. Long story short was given a name of what was suppose to be a honest and good mechanic close by he charges me $900 to work on the bike. I get it back and he is like found a little metal in the oil, flushed it out and checked the heads see no issus so bike is fine but it is a little loud and if the noise come back you looking at a rebuilt. Ride it for 30 minutes, about 30 miles, and it becomes un-rideable. Call guy and he is like oh well I told you if it came back you will need to rebuild it. So talk to dealer and make an appointment. Finally find a friend of a friend of a friend that will loan me a trailer get bike to the dealer and after just starting it they tell me the noise is a oil issue with the lifters. They tear into the bike and discovered that the shaft in the oil pump wobbled out the bearing. Lucky for me no other damage was done to the bike. Dealer is treating good with this but still to the tune of another $600 so that brings my total cost for this to $1500. I am trying to get the MOCO to pick up the tab (wishful thinking) as none of the mechanics had ever see a oil pump due that. Now if only I could figure out a cheap reasonable way of getting either all of or a portion of my money back from the other guy.

Back