free website stats program Looking to buy my first bike. | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Looking to buy my first bike.

Thanks for all the advice everyone. I do plan on taking my time to find the right bike and I will look into the first time riders courses. I don't want to just jump right into a bike without someone teching me about it.

Thanks for all the advice everyone. I do plan on taking my time to find the right bike and I will look into the first time riders courses. I don't want to just jump right into a bike without someone teching me about it.

i hadnt ridden in about 20 years so I took a riders course before buying. It was a real good idea. I too was deciding between sportster and super glide. my wife rides with me alot so I went with the super glide. I have no regrets

Having owned some 33 bikes, mostly Harley, let me spew just a tad of used bike theory. I have found an HD 4 to 5 years old is a super buy. You can easily find many low mileage bikes with loads of accessories and chrome at great prices, why ? Newbies in larger cities, buy a HD, load her up with chrome add on’s, ride it a very short distance to work a few years, but are Scared to get out much due to all the dangerous city traffic, so sell it, and normally they can’t be competitive in the sale so don’t consider all the add on parts in the price,, so YOU get all those costly extras pretty much free,,,, Check Northern Ohio,, lots of dealers lots of bikes on the road and a competitive private seller market so low prices. My present bike as example,,, 02 fatty, paid $12g last year, so that’s just under book,,6g miles when I bought her, 3500 in accessories, two seats, two windscreens. That’s what I’m talking about dude, hit the traders and that HD sellers web site and you can score serious.:bigsmiley28:

Good luck on your search. You've gotten some great advice here. I can tell you that I ended up picking up a '90 Electra Glide, and it had low miles only 15.3K miles. So far, for me, it's been a perfect first bike. Not that I'm not already looking at something newer... who doesn't? But for now... this baby is just what the Dr ordered!

Welcome to the forum... and yeah... an MSF course is a great first idea!

Ride Safe!

You're welcome!!

I started with a 1200 Sporty some 15 years ago. Kept it for 7 years. Now have an Ultra.
Still miss the Sporty every now and then. They're great bikes. But whatever you do, buy a bike for yourself and not for what others think of you.

Back