Looking some advice, help, comments

Discussion in 'Dyna Models' started by dukhavguns, Aug 28, 2011.

1. dukhavguns

dukhavguns New Member

I am new here and posted this question under the wrong title...So here goes.

I hope someone can shed some light on a problem I am having with my 2000 Dyna.
    I recently did a complete custom and in doing so switched my tank to a wideglide with new dash and speedo. Everything works on the dash except for the fact it wont register speed and my mileage counter wont move....it lights up.
    I have checked and triple checked to make sure wiring was right and cant find anything out of place.
    I replaced the speed sensor. Could I have gotten a bad speed sensor? I dont know what to do at this point. Hopefully someone here can help!
  2. JBC2565

JBC2565 Junior Member

Welcome to the forum.
    Link below has good info from glider. Also click on flow chart in link to help out.
    Harley Davidson Community
  3. R_W_B

R_W_B Senior Member

Welcome from Florida, did you do a read out on the codes yet ?

Also when you ever so slightly wiggle the wires some does it intermittently work and then not ? Believe me this solved a head banger for me once.

You could very well have a bad sensor(s) and the codes should show that.
  4. RockinRich

RockinRich Member

I have an '02 Fatbob tank on my '98 dyna. I recently kept losing everything on the dash and read about cleaning the accessory wire. So I pulled the wire and cleaned the contact on the dash and haven't had any problems since. Good Luck!
  5. dukhavguns

dukhavguns New Member

Thanks for the advice everyone! I am going to get a new speed sensor and try that route first and then try your advice if that doesnt do the trick.
  6. R. Lewis

R. Lewis Senior Member Retired Moderators

Just me thinking out loud here but -- you had this problem with the orginal speed sensor & replaced with new and still have the problem correct? If so , why replace the new sensor with a new sensor??? Retrace your wiring and make sure nothing is pinched or shorting out , make sure all your wire connections are good & clean and grounded properly. No sense of throwing money at something and find out you still have the problem. Check out the self-help section here and see if there is something that might help (if you haven't done so already) JMO!!! :cheers