free website stats program Looking for way to hold a small map to the tank | Harley Davidson Forums

Looking for way to hold a small map to the tank

Carroll B

I gave a GPS but would like a way to hold a 3x5 or 5x7 card to the tank. Going down the Blue Ridge parkway in 3 weeks and wanted to list various mile posts and which ones have gas, food, etc. Thought about getting one of the plastic folders at an office supply store and glue some magnets on the inside but am concerned about scratching the tank. Seems like the top coat on my Ultra is so thin if you brush against it you have scratched through the color. All the map bags I can find are too big and cost more then I want to spend. Any suggests or has somone made their own?

In a pinch I have used "Sheet Protectors" with map sized to fit in 8 1/2" x 11" and strong magnets from the hardware store (stick the excess ones on your refrigerator), if you do not want nice ones like David 2415 suggested which work fine. I now use a Tom Tom GPS, maps I pack for long term planning, just easier nowadays.

I've used a packing envelope from fed ex a couple of times. Works good, water prooof, and was able to wax out any residue left behind. Its the clear plastic envelope thing that comes on a box with the shipping lable in it.

I've used a packing envelope from fed ex a couple of times. Works good, water prooof, and was able to wax out any residue left behind. Its the clear plastic envelope thing that comes on a box with the shipping lable in it.
Now that is VERY clever. I like that tip heaps.
Thank you for sharing

Neil

CrazyFrog that's a great idea. Since I only need to carry index cards on a long trip like I'm planning I will use the packing list envelope from UPS. The ones we have are 7x10 and we have a smaller one 4x5. I will only peel the backing off around the edges to make it easier to remove from the tank. Using these pouches will not block the comm connector on the tank (we will be using the CB radio to communicate between bikes) and the pouches are free. I know that free and motorcycle accessories is an oxymoron but today I have become the pigeon rather then the statue.

I like the packing slip idea, I will try it next trip. I use a spring clip to hold my small info sheets to the windshield. I tape the edges of the clip, and windshield to avoid scratching the shield. I can see the info without taking my eyes completely off the road. I put a piece of wide clear tape over the info, cuz just paper will flap, makes it water proof too.

An engineer at work came up with another good idea. At a craft store buy a sheet of flexible magnetic material. Glue to the front of the magnetic sheet the 3x5 cards with directions or find some of the dry erase board and glue it to the magnetic material. Write on the dry board with a dry erase marker. You could even slip the magnetic material inside a zip lock baggie with the 3x5 card inside the baggie too. I like ideas that save money; leaves me more money for chrome.

I made my own map pouch. Stopped at a craft store and bought 4 small powerful magnets about the sixe of a dime and a sheet of very thin leather. I'll put the 3x5 index cards in a heavy plastic sheet protector, put the leather between the plastic sheet protector and the tank, and hold it to the tank with the 4 magnets. It's the size I want and it desn't block the comm connection for the headset on the Ultra's tank. If I want it water proof I'll put the cards in a zip lock baggie and put the leather between the baggie and the tank. Total cost $11

Back