free website stats program Looking for some ideas!~!! | Harley Davidson Forums

Looking for some ideas!~!!

I have been looking thru recent threads and cannot find one that really matches my problem... On a 2002 ultra, vh slip ons, s/e 203 cams and p/commander after a slow ride that really built up some engine heat I noticed the engine missing and popping. After a cool down and richen up the p/c low button, same problem. It seemed like it was dropping a cylinder at times but if I got the rpm up to 3000 or better it would pull hard but once slowing down it would start bucking and spitting again. Everyonce in a while it would run pretty good. We changed the gas and added some additive in case we picked up some water, no help. We disconnected the p/c and made no difference. Finally after about 50 miles we got back to camp. Pulled the plugs they both looked fine. Sprayed wd40 on the intake gaskets and did not really see any change. Changed plugs and it ran great for 5 miles, same problem. It is not setting any codes. Is it possible the wd swelled the intake gasket enough to make it run fine for 5 miles then start missing and bucking again. Would the cam sensor set the check eng light if it was faulty? What kind of problems will the cam sensor cause. I am still leaning toward intake gaskets but just wondering if anyone else had any other idea. Since it pulls hard above 3500 does this rule out fuel filters and pump?

Doubt you have any filter/pump issues, that would show at a higher RPM than lower.

Cam or crank sensors can sometimes not set a code and act like you mention here.

The rear cylinder dropping out could be the start of the heat management that was designed to cut the rear cylinder above a safe temp.

Thanks, Glider. I just took it for a short ride this morning and it runs fine. I need to get it good and warmed up, maybe the cylinder heat switch like you were talking about! More to come

It's not a "switch" but programmed parameters in the ECM that the cylinder head temp sensor tells the ECM the temp of the engine and from there ECM decides to shut down the rear cylinder to cool things off a bit while it is at idle.

Got it to act up again and I pushed the injector wires on the front injector and it started missing. I pulled the tank and the wire was almost broken inside the insulation. Rounding up parts now and will get back with the verdict.....Thanks

Went to GM and bought a injector wire harness repair kit, installed it and the bike runs fantastic. You could not see the broke wire because it was broken inside. I pulled on the wire and the insulation stretched.... With a little luck (EDIT) will do for brains.....Thanks for all the help

Last edited by a moderator:
Back