free website stats program Looking for some help. | Harley Davidson Forums

Looking for some help.

garyfen

I own a 2009 Sportster Custom XL. I have kept it on a battery tender this winter and start it up every month or so. I went out to start it and the tender had a green light indicating that it had a full charge. I switched it on and flipped the run button, the yellow engine light came on and went off like usual and I heard the fuel pump pressure up but slower than usual. I hit the start and the solenoid clicked but didn't roll over. the lights were on and it didn't kill the lights completely so I tried it a few more times to no avail.

The battery is 8 years old so I bought a new one and installed it. Now when I turn it on and hit the run switch, the engine light doesn't come on and I don't hear the fuel pump. It cranks but no start, all of the light come on but the engine light. All fuses are good and nothing was shorted during battery install.

It does not have a security system but I do have a dealer installed Vance & Hines fuel pack management system. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Did you charge the battery before installing?
Just because it's new, it's a good thing to fully charge them from the store/dealer.

Check your battery connections. A usual spot to check and recheck.

Winter storage (don't know where you're located) is best to store for the winter with the battery on a battery tender, not a battery charger. There is a difference.
(I see you have stated you are using a tender. Good for you.)

If you are storing for winter, starting every now and then isn't a good iidea.
It build up moisture inside and needs real riding to make the moisture in the internals disappear.
Just store it and look at it until your riding season returns.

Not sure about any computers regarding your Sporty but my '07 Ultra has computers and when the battery gets low enough, it will shut the bike down until the battery is charged enough.
Found that out while listening to the radio on the bike while sitting in the driveway.
Ran the battery low enough, it just shut the bike down until charged.
Crazy computers.....

I own a 2009 Sportster Custom XL. I have kept it on a battery tender this winter and start it up every month or so. I went out to start it and the tender had a green light indicating that it had a full charge. I switched it on and flipped the run button, the yellow engine light came on and went off like usual and I heard the fuel pump pressure up but slower than usual. I hit the start and the solenoid clicked but didn't roll over. the lights were on and it didn't kill the lights completely so I tried it a few more times to no avail.

The battery is 8 years old so I bought a new one and installed it. Now when I turn it on and hit the run switch, the engine light doesn't come on and I don't hear the fuel pump. It cranks but no start, all of the light come on but the engine light. All fuses are good and nothing was shorted during battery install.

It does not have a security system but I do have a dealer installed Vance & Hines fuel pack management system. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I do believe your bike does have a passive security system, I know my 07 did. Having said that, change your FOB battery just to rule that out and try it again. From the symptoms you describe after the battery change, I'm thinking that may be a problem. Good luck!

I'm not familiar with newer Sportsters, but on older ones, the battery was very close to the wiring block. Maybe you disturbed a connector when inserting the new battery? Check the fuel pump fuse with a meter.

Did you charge the battery before installing?
Just because it's new, it's a good thing to fully charge them from the store/dealer.

Check your battery connections. A usual spot to check and recheck.

Winter storage (don't know where you're located) is best to store for the winter with the battery on a battery tender, not a battery charger. There is a difference.
(I see you have stated you are using a tender. Good for you.)

If you are storing for winter, starting every now and then isn't a good iidea.
It build up moisture inside and needs real riding to make the moisture in the internals disappear.
Just store it and look at it until your riding season returns.

Not sure about any computers regarding your Sporty but my '07 Ultra has computers and when the battery gets low enough, it will shut the bike down until the battery is charged enough.
Found that out while listening to the radio on the bike while sitting in the driveway.
Ran the battery low enough, it just shut the bike down until charged.
Crazy computers.....
Thank you for your reply. I will put the tender back on for the day and see what happens. I live in Arizona but up in the White Mountains at an elevation of 5600 ft. When I start the bike up it is usually warm enough (50 degrees) to ride around on my road for a half hour or so. I am sure it has some kind of computer as I read the manual it says the engine light coming on for 4 seconds is a self diagnostic check. Thanks again for your help.

I do believe your bike does have a passive security system, I know my 07 did. Having said that, change your FOB battery just to rule that out and try it again. From the symptoms you describe after the battery change, I'm thinking that may be a problem. Good luck!
Thank you for your response. I believe the security system is an option on my model which I did not choose. I have no FOB, never have had and I bought it new from the dealer. Thanks again.

I'm not familiar with newer Sportsters, but on older ones, the battery was very close to the wiring block. Maybe you disturbed a connector when inserting the new battery? Check the fuel pump fuse with a meter.
Thank you for responding. Yes the battery is very close to the fuse block, in fact when removing the battery it seems to get caught on the tender wires the dealer installed and crammed down behind the fuse block. I will check the fuel pump fuse as well as the engine management fuses to see if it could have pulled something apart or damaged something. Thanks again.

Last edited by a moderator:
You we're definitely due for a new battery. If you did nothing other than a battery change, recheck all contentions and fuses. You said the light does not come on and you don't hear the fuel pump energizing? Pay special attention to the fuse that controls the pump.

Just so you don't use the sound of the fuel pump as a benchmark for the problem, remember, once the pump primes, it will not "reprime" again for several minutes until the line pressure drops.

harleysportsterfuseboxcorrect-134676.jpg
Is this your fuse box? Re run ALL your fuses I bet you find your problem, Good Luck and check back in

Thanks to everyone that replied to this thread. I checked for voltage at the fuel pump fuse and engine management fuse and had no power. Upon further inspection with a lighted mirror I found a harness directly above the battery that had the locking clip on one side broken off and it was half unplugged. Put it back together and secured it with a zip tie. Made sure battery cleared when going back in and had both fuel pump and engine light. Fired right up. God I love the smell of premium running through Vance & Hines straight shots. Thanks again for all of your help.

Back