free website stats program Looking for Opinions on Air Filter/Intake | Harley Davidson Forums

Looking for Opinions on Air Filter/Intake

lhgdale

Hello, on my 2010 WG I had a zippers maxflow air filter installed. I planned on swapping the filter over to my 2012 Street Glide but the backing plate is different. I ordered a performance package from fuelmoto which included a 2-1-2 headpipe, Jackpot pro touring mufflers, Power vision, and a fuelmoto/K&N style intake. Fuelmoto recently changed their backing plate and it will not accept the Zippers filter. My question is, I have read a flow rate comparison on all the filters and the zippers does flow more air but is there a need for my to spend 150.00 on a zippers setup? Thanks very much!

Hello, on my 2010 WG I had a zippers maxflow air filter installed. I planned on swapping the filter over to my 2012 Street Glide but the backing plate is different. I ordered a performance package from fuelmoto which included a 2-1-2 headpipe, Jackpot pro touring mufflers, Power vision, and a fuelmoto/K&N style intake. Fuelmoto recently changed their backing plate and it will not accept the Zippers filter. My question is, I have read a flow rate comparison on all the filters and the zippers does flow more air but is there a need for my to spend 150.00 on a zippers setup? Thanks very much!

Maybe not, is there any part number on the filter, you may be able to cross it over or if you measure your back plate you may find a suitable replacement dimension wise from another vendor JMO

Your not running your bike at the drag strip so any open air box should make you happy I'm sure, only thing I would recommend is keeping with a quality element like the K&N. Some air intakes do work better then others, a couple of my customers have switched from the S/E heavey breather to the S&S dual as pictured below and found their bikes perform better at lower rpm's around town, but you're talking $500.00, is it worth it? That depends who you talk to and how much money they have to spend, for most riders a $100.00 - $150.00 air box works fine.
12apes.jpg

I guess the question I am asking is would my 103 with air, computer and exhaust upgrades require more air than the filter would flow?

I have a 103" with a HD air flow kit, SERT & SE255 cams with exhaust upgrades and I just run a K&N round air filter and the bike runs great, I went with the classic round HD air cleaner cover which shows off the engine more and give the bike a more classic look IMO. I also like the fact that the air filter has protection from rain and debris and I do not need a rain sock like you would with a big sucker.

Attachments

• 218.jpg
    218.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 53
Ok, I'm sure I am fine. I would just hate to choke my motor out and loose HP over something as simple as a air filter.

Ok, I'm sure I am fine. I would just hate to choke my motor out and loose HP over something as simple as a air filter.

Zippers setup uses K&N air filter element...very similar to H-D Screaming Eagle setup...and as Chop says, K&N Air Filter products are a high quality and durable, even better than the H-D OEM air cleaner elements which get "soft" with use and distort in shape, some even have experienced the element collapsing and clog the air intake..:56:.

I guess the question I am asking is would my 103 with air, computer and exhaust upgrades require more air than the filter would flow?

IF in DOUBT,,, Try it With your filter then Without the air filter on ...

Just for a Short Run..

That should tell you IF you need a better flowing filter.

signed....BUBBIE

added : I use an SE-air on my stage two 09 FLHR (SE255 cams) Does fine.

Back