Looking for more "sound"

Discussion in 'Touring Models' started by firerider, Nov 5, 2012.

1. firerider

firerider Member

I recently put a new pair of Vance & Hines slip-on exhaust to my Road Glide and was a little disappointed in the the sound of the pipes. I definitely got a few more horsepower with the new air cleaner kit and remapping of the fuel system but was really hoping for a deeper rumble. Can the baffles on the V&H pipes be modified in any way? The pipes are Twin Slash Ovals for Harley touring bikes. I don't want to screw anything up as far as engine performance but just want more sound. Any advice greatly appreciated.:eam

2. turnerbend

turnerbend Active Member

Replace with a set of Rineharts true duels. Nice deep tone on my Classic.

3. Redfish-Joe

Redfish-Joe Senior Member

Pull a baffle and see if they are wrapped. If they are try the mufflers without the packing around the baffles.

4. Checkers

Checkers Member

If you decat you will get the sound you are looking for.

5. firerider

firerider Member

Thanks for the advice. I will pull the baffles and see if they are wrapped,

6. artfuentes

artfuentes Active Member

You need to pull the cats to get the sound you want. I put V&H power duals with V&H Hi-output slip on's and they sound great. Plus you get a big help with cooling down the bike.

7. glazier

glazier Junior Member

Did you notice any difference in performance, or just sound???

8. artfuentes

artfuentes Active Member

I did get a performance boost. I never had it on a dyno until I put the 255 cams in (recent), so I don't know what it was pulling, but I did feel a better response and it felt like I had more power. I was still dissapointed with my 6th gear pull on hills and riding two up when passing. I did the pipes, air cleaner and PCV all at the same time.

9. Checkers

Checkers Member

You will notice a marked improvement on the sound and little to no performance gain. It will be much cooler on the right leg.:small3d036:

10. artfuentes

artfuentes Active Member

I changed out at 1,200 miles, so maybe I didn't have the stock set up long enough to really compare. Having said that I thought the bike had a small performance boost when I changed out. The bike definitely ran much cooler...
    [​IMG]