free website stats program Looking for FXR advice | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Looking for FXR advice

dbmg you have peeked my interest, gold leaf? I did not know they had a factory option of that. The striping looks like double strip vinyl but looking at it you can tell it is painted as confirmed by Harley Canada. Looking at the stripes in detail and their texture confirm this. I am taking everyone's advice and going to "update" it with bolt on items and make use of it to be sure I like it before jumping any further in. I have all the original parts and will be keeping them in the event I want it back to factory specs. I respectfully thank you all for the input. Many of those I met around my area all have new bikes and are chrome queens that only ride around town and from coffee shop to coffee shop and only on pristine roads and weather conditions. I prefer to ride and expand my horizons and like to ride the challenges that lie ahead be what that might be. For me it is not the destination but rather the journey.

Harley paint and older graphics are second to none. At one time GM wanted to know harleys secret to paint, but the MOCO was not talking. The pin striping is under several coats of clear s it should last a good long time:s Unlike todays plastic badges on the tanks

Hi I'm new to this site and need info on my bike. I have a 1983 fxrs with a 96cu.in S+S engine with a 5spd tranny. I would like to run a spedo cable off the tranny if possible, rather than mess with the front tire arrangement. I can not find where to hook up the cable on my tranny? Any suggestions? I bought the bike with no cable or speedo drive on the wide glide front end.

Hi I'm new to this site and need info on my bike. I have a 1983 fxrs with a 96cu.in S+S engine with a 5spd tranny. I would like to run a spedo cable off the tranny if possible, rather than mess with the front tire arrangement. I can not find where to hook up the cable on my tranny? Any suggestions? I bought the bike with no cable or speedo drive on the wide glide front end.

Hmmm. Does it already have a speedo that is on the tank? If so, that is probably still a mechanical speedo that is cable driven. If that is the case, it would be a simple job to add the front drive unit and run the cable to the speedo.

Don't know how and where a mechanical cable driven speedo could be hooked up to the engine or tranny. Would probably have to be an electronic speedo attached to some sort of speed sensor, but not sure where it would get its signal from on an older carb engine. Someone else will have to pitch in here for that kind of setup.

Cheers,

TQ

Picked up an '82 FXRS about 5 years ago. When I got the bike, the gas gauge had been changed out to an aftermarket and the mufflers were not stock. In addition, the bike had been repainted to a semi custom job. I picked up a new dash and gauge on Ebay along with the correct mufflers. I traded out the seat for a Mustang as the original was just too uncomfortable. And the paint is going to stay because it's actually pretty nice and I'm too cheep to have it repainted. While I got it for a pretty good price, I put about $750 into it and have no doubt I'll be able to recoup my investment when it's time to sell. And that's about all I expect to do. While I love my Ultra Classic, the FXRS is a hoot to ride and a welcome change up . The forum gave some sound advice, keep all of your original parts and enjoy.

Back