free website stats program Looking for FXR advice | Harley Davidson Forums

Looking for FXR advice

85FXRS

Hello all I am new to this forum and the the world of Harley Davidson. I have lurked and reviewed many sites in effort to try to answer my question and now I post here to ask in a FXR specific forum. Please bear with me as I am a bit conflicted with my recent purchase and am wondering if I should be or not. So here it goes a real long post.... Being new to riding a motorcycle I had done my research on the best handling Harley I could find which came up in many places as the FXR. I started a search looking for a bike that had not been extremely altered and came across an online ad. After many emails I made a 4 hour trip to go look at what seemed to be an all original 85 FXRS owned by a senior. I purchased this bike for less than what a sportster sells for in my area, in fact for what a parts project bike sells for. Once loaded up the seller wanted to talk to me in private and told me he didn't want to sell but has had lost his license after having cancer treatments and didn't think he would ever get his license back again car or bike. So now on to the bike... Well with that info I was unsure what to think so I checked the bikes previous history and noted 2 owners both for roughly 15 years. On looking at the bike it comes across as very clean with factory original paint and it shows the pride of ownership. EVERYTHING on the bike has Harley on it aside from the Screaming Eagle baloney cut mufflers and race only ignition module. The owner gave me everything from new, owners manual, factory repair manual, original mufflers and carb jets. He told me he hopes I love it as well as he did. With the bike in my posession and looking it over it needs nothing, no leaks, it runs great, lots of power and I was told the motor has never been opened up. It has 70000 km ( 43500 miles) on it but does not look it. I am not a fan of the original buckhorns and have substituted a 2003 softail handle bar . I have removed the only non original part a pair of soft saddle bags and substituted them with a set of Harley slant bags with proper fxr yoke and period correct supports. I also have acquired a Harley quarter fairing and installed it after removing the previous owner equipped slip streamer wind screen. I have no further changes as of yet I wish to make aside from a set of smoke signal lenses. So this leads to my question for advice and that is... Because this bike is so clean and original am I wrecking it by these small changes? Should I leave it totally stock as I received it? What rough value does an average bike in this form have and am I wasting my time fretting over it? Perhaps I would not worry so had the previous owners not been so fussy with it. Lastly how rare is a bike like this in the condition I have mentioned? I would like a bike that I can be proud of, I love the fact it is not all chrome and in my opinion stands out amongst other Harleys in my area. Harley Canada researched as 1 of 920 being black with factory gold striping. Any advice and opinion would be appreciated. Cheers

With most purchases there may always be some buyers remorse. There is no need to fret that you want to make the bike exclusively yours. You should be relieved at the fact that the bike was well taken care of by the previous owners and with the mileage and condition it seems as if you have a win win situation. A great classic that is in such good shape and well taken care of that you can enjoy and ride is a added bonus......:s

The small changes you made and want to make won't have an adverse impact on the bikes value. It's a good idea to keep the OEM parts just in case you want to sell, and the buyer wants an original bike. Good luck, you chose a great bike!

P.S. Welcome to the forum.

FXR models are hard to come by any more. I would keep it as close to stock as possible. It is the best frame HD ever built. Many after markets have reproduced this frame, It was a favorite for custom builders back in the day. You have a good platform, I say find OEM NOS parts and enjoy your ride:s

Your year and model was designated the Low Glide, later to evolve into the Low Rider. The frame was hand built and welded making it stronger, later robots would do the welding. The Evo engine is a strong runner, warm the engine til the rear rocker box is warm then happy riding all day long

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you should do whatever you want to do to your bike. Although the FXR has a bit of a cult following, there is no collectable status reflected in the black book value. If you bought the bike as a money making investment, good luck to you. I plan for some extensive mods to my bike this winter, following in the footsteps of those who took an eighties bike and put modern suspension on. The link below will provide you with a real world value of your bike. Above all else, have fun with it!
Black Book Powersports

Thanks all, I do believe I had similar ideas for my bike. I appreciate the advice and knowledge as I can confirm it from my research that my bike is a Low Glide and the small changes are what I will go with until I decide what I really want. In the mean time I will look for and hopefully acquire a tin set I can paint up if I want to change or go with a more modern color. Black is timeless but the gold striping dates it. It looks really good and stands out as a tasteful scoot. My wife is on me a little bit for a bigger bike as she currently rides the back but I am trying to get her to ride her own. Time will tell and hopefully if I like this ride it will be with me for awhile even if I get another.

Thanks all, I do believe I had similar ideas for my bike. I appreciate the advice and knowledge as I can confirm it from my research that my bike is a Low Glide and the small changes are what I will go with until I decide what I really want. In the mean time I will look for and hopefully acquire a tin set I can paint up if I want to change or go with a more modern color. Black is timeless but the gold striping dates it. It looks really good and stands out as a tasteful scoot. My wife is on me a little bit for a bigger bike as she currently rides the back but I am trying to get her to ride her own. Time will tell and hopefully if I like this ride it will be with me for awhile even if I get another.

Are you sure the gold is not gold leaf?? If possible in having 2 bikes always keep the FXR and get your self a bagger. Your wife will be very happy and encourage longer rides. Win Win....:s

As has been said, keep anything you change out so that you can put if back if a potential buyer wants that. But if you make a commitment to the bike, you will not want to part with it. So make it your own and don't fret over changes to it. Unless the bike is in "NIB" condition, there is not much "collectors' value" in it. I have a '91 FXDB-S (Sturgis) that is a numbered bike. But with 70k+ miles, it has not much value as a collectors' piece.

So fix it up the way you want it, and ride!!

Cheers,

TQ

Back