free website stats program Looking for fatter streched tank for 07 Sportster | Harley Davidson Forums

Looking for fatter streched tank for 07 Sportster

airforceacop

hello all, I've been searching online and thru this site for a source that provides bolt on tanks for a 07 883...everything I have found stops at 06? Is that because of the introduction to EFI? I wanna lower my sporty fatten out the tank and add a springer solo seat and paint the Tins army green giving it that old school "war" bike look with a new twist....I was orginally going to sell the sporty and just keep the 09 Road King but now I"m having second thoughts, now I have all these idea's of 1200 conversions and I really like blacked out engine look as well, could my engine be painted for that blackout look? As far as mechnically inlined, I can change fluids, follow instuctions for remove old parts bolt on new parts...I have no experience with actually custom work....but I guess that can be overcome with $$$$..(which I don't have ton of either ) LOL .I'd also like to see a big bad fat tire on the back....I'd need a new swingarm and fenders...but could I use the orginal drive belt?? on other customs I've seen chains instead of the drive belt, what's the benifit of chain over belt? wow this post kind of turned into a thousand question ramble, just curious on so many questions I have, just would like to see this dream turn to reality sometime soon.

i have a 07 XL 883 L with a 3.3 tank on it ,,, i just ordered a 4.5 large tank that is long and wide from harley davidson already painted and with emblem

The EFI addition complicated works slightly with in-tank pump, filter etc. But the good news is the HD also offers an electronic digital blue fuel guage for '07 and up...more dollars but it mounts on the master cylinder in the 2010 HD P&A catalog pg. 111 $250...in black or chrome.:newsmile093:
75031_09_M_25162.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks V for posting the part number.....would love to see a pic what it looks like on the bike, I saw the pic of the tank on the website but didn't really show the tank well on the bike!..man you weren't kidding about pricey! Do you think they come primed as I want to change the color of my bike anyways.

Well the price is a bit high, but the good news is it can be had color matched and installation is "plug and play"...simplicity is nice and frankly like I have said before, leave the trial and error stuff for the young and "energetic"...not that I have given up, just I like to choose my battles and save my energy for real troubleshooting.

This fuel tank thing is simple and easy, or you can make it a lot of work...easy is good...trust me on this. Never cared for rebuilding old fuel tanks, the prep, the dent removal, the rust removal, recoating the inside, the list goes on and on. Also, having a tank all prepped and ready to go means as you transfer all the stuff, you can decide if you want new or add thing as you put it together, clean and easy!

Well the price is a bit high, but the good news is it can be had color matched and installation is "plug and play"...simplicity is nice and frankly like I have said before, leave the trial and error stuff for the young and "energetic"...not that I have given up, just I like to choose my battles and save my energy for real troubleshooting.

This fuel tank thing is simple and easy, or you can make it a lot of work...easy is good...trust me on this. Never cared for rebuilding old fuel tanks, the prep, the dent removal, the rust removal, recoating the inside, the list goes on and on. Also, having a tank all prepped and ready to go means as you transfer all the stuff, you can decide if you want new or add thing as you put it together, clean and easy!

Sorry mate but i love the challenge of getting an old tank looking good although the hours spent sloshing various fluids fluids through the tank till the inside is done is a bit of a bore as are the many hours of filling and sanding to get the perfect profile but in reality its not a difficult task but when you have a perfect black tank (fast bike) at the end of the process the sence of elation stays with you each time you ride and look down on your own handywork

Brian

Fin_676, doing it yourself is a rite of passage, and honestly this was one area I did not care for, because I am not good with paint...flat like house wall or canvis okay, but painting in 3 dimensions in that way I am like RichardS, just do not want to spend the time and energy being more technical and less artistic. I like sketching, drawing and black and white stuff, painting more like impressionist painting...dabble not brush LOL :small3d029:

Last edited:
As was mentioned ,,, you can get it color matched to your bike or mix it up and have what ever color you want ,,i went with Harley because i have had friends buy after market tanks have them dipped to seal them ,,paint there tanks all nice only to find paint bubbling not to long after install where tank is leaking,,, so i decided to go an easy route so if i have any problems i can send it back and get it replaced :D:D

Back