free website stats program Looking for a nice used Harley near oscoda Michigan 48750 | Harley Davidson Forums

Looking for a nice used Harley near oscoda Michigan 48750

Tried A fat boy Low an seemed to small I'm 5'10" I'm 65 years old ,can't make to may tripes across state looking for a bike .There's a nice soft tail Deuce 2002 in my area ,want to stay under $7000,00 max ,I'm considering the Deuce ,been thinking a road king would be a little bigger for my long legs,even seems the forward controls ,don't cut it.probably,well be heading to west branch to the Harley dealers, for better ideas what bike I like. My Honda1983 cb1000 custom is a ment bike well kept up new gears tires etc. I site way back on the seat, while riding.It has over drive air shocks an not to load floor my tinnitus,lol But Always thinking I would get a Harley some day.

Last edited:
Welcome from Pittsburgh Pa.;)
1st off what type of riding are you planning on doing. I would believe that the dollar amount discussed, you are going to need some time to find the right bike for you. Remember, "someday you will own a bagger."
And there is nothing like riding a heavy bike......;)

Welcome from Pittsburgh Pa.;)
1st off what type of riding are you planning on doing. I would believe that the dollar amount discussed, you are going to need some time to find the right bike for you. Remember, "someday you will own a bagger."
And there is nothing like riding a heavy bike......;)
Will, I could spend more but,I've found 2001 an a 1999 road king already for 5,000 an 5,500 with around 50 thousand miles.an a 2002 Deuce for 7,000 .just looking early be for summer.where,would you draw . The line to classify a bike as a badger.Usually ,casual short rides in northern Michigan,May adventure to the upper peninsula ,or Mackinaw city From Oscoda Michigan.

2002 is as far back as I would go for a fuel injected model; the early fuel injection system left a lot to be desired.

The term "bagger" is the nickname for a Harley touring model like the Road King, Electra Glide, Road Glide or Street Glide. The basic difference between the touring and Dyna models and the softails is the way the power plant is mounted in the frame. The softails motors are hard mounted in the frame with a counter balancer mechanism in the right side case to counter act the movement of the odd firing, 45* vtwin motor. The touring models are rubber mounted in the frame allowing the motor to move on the mounts which is why you see the motor in a touring model shaking in the frame at idle but once off idle an up to cruise, they are a smooth as butter. The softail motors do not move in the frame and are smooth at cruise but give off a high frequency vibration that can be annoying on a long trip. Subjective issue for sure and a personal choice.

You should take every opportunity to ride different models, take your time and get to know the differences before you buy. I still see early models with relatively low mileage selling for very reasonable prices but you are not likely to find them at a dealer. Good luck with your search.;)

Welcome from Wisconsin.If You plan to do any riding more than 50 miles.You will want a bike with bags to carry Your jacket ,chaps or raingear.Road King would be adequate.Deuce is for riding around town.Your decision should be based on the type of riding You intend to do.Being over 65 also,I want comfort and storage.So I have a Limited.I ride about 15,000 miles a year.

Welcome to the forum from Scotland
With some models of bikes extended reach kits are available that may give you the space you need on the bike both my dyna wide glide and softail custom have extended reach kits that move the foot pegs and foot controls about 3" further from the seat

Brian

I have put in several 500 mile days on my Deuce; before I picked up a used 2002 FLHT which would by my choice for a road trip. However, I have made the trip from south Texas to Colorado several times on the Deuce. A Mustang seat, T-Bag, smaller bag mounted to the pillion and one saddle bag mounted on the left side were more than adequate for storage. So don't let the idea that a softail isn't capable of making 500 mile days with a reasonable level of comfort. Having said that, if the OP plans on a lot of touring, softails should not be on the short list.

Back