free website stats program Looking for a new windshield for 09 Flhx | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Looking for a new windshield for 09 Flhx

Great thread. After riding my new SG home yesterday from the dealer, in very gusty conditions no less, "dancing glasses" is putting it mildly. I did not enjoy my first experience on my new bike and that sucks. So a new windshield is in my immediate future. I see HD makes an oversize one (they call it), but no one here has mentioned that one.... I was bobbing my head up and down riding and it appears 3" higher will do the trick, but I see where these Clearview windshields are a popular choice. Can anyone steer me in the right direction for my purchase or tell me why it seems no one has opted for the taller Harley shield? Maybe they have, I've only been on the first page so far (lol).

Thanks much!

Thanks biglew. I didn't even see that one. I'm 6-1 myself. It sure would be nice to be able to test the different sized windshields.
I like those delectors, too. I was thinking of ordering them also, but I didn't want to go crazy with changing everything right away (lol).

Any updates from H4U30?
Ok I got my Clearview 8" windshield in and installed. Love it. Works great for me. Only thing at about 47mph to 53mph I get some turbulance and it feels like wind is hitting me on top of my helmet, its not severe but noticable. Other then that, at lower or higher speeds it works awesome for me.

I bought an 09 street glide 1 & 1/2 months ago. Rove out of the dealer with this stock shield on it and ordered an 8" smoked Clearview for it. Put it on and what a difference it made. I'm 6'4" with a 34' inseam and it's great. I can see over it with room to spare and the wind hits right at the top of my head. I don't usually wear a lid, so I really can't say anything about the helmet concerns. I test rode a street glide with the Clockwerks shield on it and it just didn't seem to work well for me. I can say the Clearview will make you a happy rider though.

Ride hard & be safe

One other thing I forgot to mention, I've been wearing a helmet this year (just a half helmet) and with the 4" the wind going by the straps by my ears was almost deafining after a while. Now with the 8" I don't get that at all, or atleast not that I notice.

I have the 8" recurve and it doesnt stop the "dancing glasses" for me, I'm 5'10 and don't usually wear a helmet. I just ordered a 10" Vstream from National Cycle, hope it works out have heard good things about it moving the air away from the head, I'm just a little concerned it might be to tall.

(EDITED), you guys are getting me worried. I pick up my new SG in a few weeks and I kept reading about how us tall guys (6'3" here) were taking a beating in a helmet so I had the dealer install the Electra Glide standard height windsheild (12 in) on mine. Now I'm thinking that when I go to pick it up it will be too tall for me to see over it. (EDITED).

Please read this...

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
(EDITED), you guys are getting me worried. I pick up my new SG in a few weeks and I kept reading about how us tall guys (6'3" here) were taking a beating in a helmet so I had the dealer install the Electra Glide standard height windsheild (12 in) on mine. Now I'm thinking that when I go to pick it up it will be too tall for me to see over it. (EDITED).

Welcome to the wonderful world of HD. Picking up your bike is just the beginning!

I tried to get as low a Clearview shield as I could that still got the airflow up over my head. I just don't think Street Glides look good with really tall shields.

Back