free website stats program Looking for 77 Sportster Parts | Harley Davidson Forums

Looking for 77 Sportster Parts

mslisaj

I have a '77 XLCH 1000 Sportster. I bought it new and never thought I would ever have trouble finding parts for this bike. But it's 34 years old and I'm looking for a place where I can find repair parts for it. Right now I need what I would call the valve lifter retainer gaskets. I have one leaking between the case and this retainer. Can anyone direct me to a reliable parts dealer that may have parts for this antique. God, that hurts me to say that but even though the bike looks like new it's old technology.

Thank you for your help and advice..............

Lisa

WOW!!! Thank you for the quick reply.
One more simple question. Did I describe that gasket correctly? Am I asking for the correct part?

Again thanks for your help.

Lisa

James (name of gasket company) carries a top end gasket kit...it was under $30 a year ago. There are parts out there but not so many folks to work on them so you might have to do more and more yourself.

Thanks Webtron for the help here. I will check out James. I have been working on this bike since it was new. I had it about a week and I took it back to the dealer for an oil leak. They scratched the bike while it was in the shop and all they could do was give me a decal to cover it. I was (EDIT) as you can imagine. Needless to say that was the last time that bike went into any ones shop but my own.

So appreciate you taking your time to respond to my request for info and thanks for the advice too..............

Lisa

Please read this...

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a '77 XLCH 1000 Sportster. I bought it new and never thought I would ever have trouble finding parts for this bike. But it's 34 years old and I'm looking for a place where I can find repair parts for it. Right now I need what I would call the valve lifter retainer gaskets. I have one leaking between the case and this retainer. Can anyone direct me to a reliable parts dealer that may have parts for this antique. God, that hurts me to say that but even though the bike looks like new it's old technology.

Thank you for your help and advice..............

Lisa
vtwin mfg. should also have tons of parts for your sporty. you go girl!

If I'm reading your decription for the leak area correctly then it sounds like the Lifter Block. If so does it have 1 allen head screw/bolt
holding it in place? If it does then you have to remove push rod tube & push rod. Remove the allen, then the lifter block pulls out,sometimes very difficult to pul lout. They make a special tool to remove the block. There is an O ring on the block, no gasket. hope this helps

Thank you BMXATV, Jack Klarich and glider for the great resources. You all have eased my mind for the future of parts for my bike. I really appreciate you taking your time to respond with the sources.

And to Tourbox, you have described my blocks correctly. They even have the slots in the side for a "special puller" to grab a hold of and pull. Only one is leaking so I will just deal with that one and hopefully with the puller sets that I do have I can ease that out with out a lot of headache and damage.

This has really been a great bike for me over all the years I have had it and little by little I have been inside fixing leaks here and there. Other then minor leaks, minor maintenance and a transmission overhaul as I blew the dogs on 4th gear this has been really a fun and trouble free ride.

Thank you again gentlemen for all the good information. I sincerely appreciate it.

Lisa

Back