free website stats program Looking at new 2011 road king | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Looking at new 2011 road king

Just picked up my 2011 Road King three weeks ago. I traded in a Honda VTX1300C that I had had for three years and had put less than 2000 miles on ( back injury made riding the VTX more than 15 minutes pure agony). The RK is a dream! Comfortable and with great handling for this size bike. ... .. .. . . .. One big difference - the longest the wife had even been on the Honda was 11 miles... we took the RK out for 4 HOURS the day after I brought it home from the dealer.

Glad you are enjoying the RK and I know they are very comfortable, however I did not know the VTXs were that bad. I know several guys that ride those things. Is it the suspension is rough or the seats ?

I really had a Hard Time with myself when looking at NEW bikes, Knowing that My days on the FXDS bikes were numbered (two, a 97 sold to get the 2ooo, both bought new), ....
NEEDING a different Touring type bike for retirement, and NOT wanting to keep another bike other than a sport 06 1200 R. Full time.Traded off 00 FXDS for a new 09 KING.

I wanted a BIKE that Looked LIKE a bike (the KING does)..I am old school and never wanted a OLD Geezer Bike (sorry geezer EH.) Fairings and Stereo to me, are called Garbage.... *( Oooooo,, can i feel the Ruffled Feathers here):lolrolling

Bikes to me have to look like BIKES of the older days.... Sit on it, straight up and down and Ride it,,,, Just to Listen to IT and Enjoy the Ride, HD's Make all the Music to my ears that I need.

I can't imagine ME on a bike touting a Big stereo system that blast all the good RIDE SOUNDS away ..
Don't get me wrong, I love music, Loud music and I played professional for number of years.

I only want to be on a bike that IS a Real Bike.IMHO

so I chose the KING..

All this boils down to a final statement.;

Lucky, You Made a GREAT CHOICE in my book.:D

signed....BUBBIE

One thing about the Road King, it's the "Swiss Army Knife " of bikes.

On one hand you can strip it down to ride in town. No windshield, solo seat, you can even get skirts that allow you to remove the saddle bags..

Or you can add batwing fairing with radio, tourpack, lower guards and two up seat. Then you are all set to ride cross country.

Another point is that it is probably the most agile of the touring bikes, especially at low speeds which may be a plus coming from a smaller bike.

All in all it is a great bike and was my second choice behind the Road Glide. But I do most of my riding in the countryside so a full tour bike is what I wanted.

Glad you are enjoying the RK and I know they are very comfortable, however I did not know the VTXs were that bad. I know several guys that ride those things. Is it the suspension is rough or the seats ?

Suspension wasn't that bad but the seat and riding position combined was really painful. Not sure if it was my particular problem or not, but the RK is a total joy to ride by comparison. Even though the RK is heavier, it 'feels' lighter than the Honda - my guess would be the rake, bars, seat, and peg position all conspired to create the issue. Easier to buy a RK that fit (and that I really wanted!) than to change all the VTX parts to make it fit my newly rebuilt spine.

Suspension wasn't that bad but the seat and riding position combined was really painful. Not sure if it was my particular problem or not, but the RK is a total joy to ride by comparison. Even though the RK is heavier, it 'feels' lighter than the Honda - my guess would be the rake, bars, seat, and peg position all conspired to create the issue. Easier to buy a RK that fit (and that I really wanted!) than to change all the VTX parts to make it fit my newly rebuilt spine.

Thanks for the reply, I like to keep informed on all types of bikes, since if I ever get back to work regular I plan to own more than just one.

After contemplating some used bikes, I think for me a new one would surmise.
Looking at road kings. Just the standard stock version. Was not really liking the black but it sort of grows on me.
Currently ride a kawi vulcan 900. Road King is about 200 pounds heavier, bigger frame, more powerful etc. I want some comfort when I ride and I think the road king will suffice in that dept. Plus, I don't want to get another bike every 5 or so years. Sure, road kings aint cheap but I view it as an investment since HD's hold their value (just look at used hd bikes!!!).
Was at a dealer yesterday. Guess it depends on how much my trade is worth and what the monthly payments are. We'll see I guess.

Lucky...

The only investment in purchasing a King is the time spent riding it. You will find that a heavy bike is much easier to ride and the comfort level is unbelievable. So do your self a favor, get the King and invest more time in purchasing fuel and riding till your hearts content. Do not base decision just on what trade will bring for you are probably going to be disappointed. So decide if the King is the right bike and go for it. You will never regret the decision.....

The only investment in purchasing a King is the time spent riding it. You will find that a heavy bike is much easier to ride and the comfort level is unbelievable. So do your self a favor, get the King and invest more time in purchasing fuel and riding till your hearts content. Do not base decision just on what trade will bring for you are probably going to be disappointed. So decide if the King is the right bike and go for it. You will never regret the decision.....
That is a good point, but there is one thing I have noticed about the RK's, and that is that they do seem to hold their value pretty well. I have sort of shopped around for the last few years, (just haven't found the one that tugs at my heart strings more than my deuce), but for some reason, they seem to run 2-3K more than like the EGC's and other touring models. I would find a RK for $17K or so, and then find an Electra Glide Classic of the same year and similar mileage with similar after market add-ons, (stage 1 for example) that would be $14-15K. Never could figure that one out. I haven't looked for some time, but that seemed to be the case last year.

So there, it is sort of an investment, now come back and show us the pix of the new Road King! :D

That is a good point, but there is one thing I have noticed about the RK's, and that is that they do seem to hold their value pretty well. I have sort of shopped around for the last few years, (just haven't found the one that tugs at my heart strings more than my deuce), but for some reason, they seem to run 2-3K more than like the EGC's and other touring models. I would find a RK for $17K or so, and then find an Electra Glide Classic of the same year and similar mileage with similar after market add-ons, (stage 1 for example) that would be $14-15K. Never could figure that one out. I haven't looked for some time, but that seemed to be the case last year.

So there, it is sort of an investment, now come back and show us the pix of the new Road King! :D

I doubt if this is supported by a visit to the NADA site. Probably just a byproduct of how much RK owners love their bikes - they tend to think they're worth more!

A comment about the metric bikes.....yes, the seats (stock) are horrible!!!!!
My butt hurts after about an hour and I'm not a huge guy! Most kawi/honda/suzi owners opt for another seat like Mustang or Saddleman etc.
Other than that, my kawi vulcan was a great bike!
And like another poster, I too love the old style classic looks. The RK has this.
I love the big fenders!!
Supposed to pick up new RK this friday afternoon. Weather looks cloudy and 82. Dang....this is like going out with a woman for the first time and you just met!

Lucky...

A comment about the metric bikes.....yes, the seats (stock) are horrible!!!!!

Lucky...

I would have to agree. I put a corbin top gun seat on my kawasaki. Huge difference over stock seat. My kawasaki is a 1976 KZ900 Z1 so I don't think they put much thought into seat comfort back then.

Back