free website stats program Looking at new 2011 road king | Harley Davidson Forums

Looking at new 2011 road king

After contemplating some used bikes, I think for me a new one would surmise.
Looking at road kings. Just the standard stock version. Was not really liking the black but it sort of grows on me.
Currently ride a kawi vulcan 900. Road King is about 200 pounds heavier, bigger frame, more powerful etc. I want some comfort when I ride and I think the road king will suffice in that dept. Plus, I don't want to get another bike every 5 or so years. Sure, road kings aint cheap but I view it as an investment since HD's hold their value (just look at used hd bikes!!!).
Was at a dealer yesterday. Guess it depends on how much my trade is worth and what the monthly payments are. We'll see I guess.

Lucky...

LuckyArmpit; have you taken one for a test ride? If not & you're serious about getting into a HD touring bike - definitely time to take one out for a spin. RK's are very smooth & comfortable for cruising...you'll see after the 1st mile at road speeds. IMO, try to sell your current bike vs. trade because you'll get minimal @ HD w/metric trade and they won't budge on RK price. Not always the preferred choice, but you'll be money ahead w/cash for the RK & it is prime riding season so should sell fast, if priced right. Good luck & keep us posted on your bike exchange.

Go back and read what Smitty said again. A Harley should not be viewed as an investment, unless you're talking about an investment in your sanity and well being! They hold their value better than other brands but they still will not be worth more than you paid for them in a couple years. Those days are over!

Also, like Iceman told you, you're getting ready to spend a lot of money on a bike you said you want to ride for 5+ years. Demo several different models, for a couple hours at least. A lot of saddle time will help you decide which bike is right for you.

I agree with the other posters, HD is NOT an investment, and we don't buy these things for their gas mileage either. The new frame is awesume, the bike actually handles like a much smaller bike and is incredible at highway crusing speeds. The only thing I did not like after I bought mine was the OEM seat. Total piece of (EDIT) . So, give the seat a try, but if you can get the dealer to pony up for an instore credit, then you can use it to buy a replacement seat at a later date. Then, you'll have to think about handlbars, and foot pegs, and..............

Good Luck,

Mike

Please read this...

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a Kawasaki Vulcan 900 and went to the Road King a few years ago. The diference is unbelievable. The Road King is a nice bike, but you may want to look at something with a fairing -- Road Glide or Street Gllide. I think eventually you may want one!

Rode buddy's 2005 RK custom. Nice!!! Yes heavier but the comfort is amazing. So with that in mind, checked a local dealer. Did some figuring.
I bought a 2011 RK firefighter edition. All black but with red and gold pinstriping. Looks awesome! Also has ABS/security option. Had them throw in a backrest and hardware.
Trading in the Kawi. After viewing local papers and craig's list et al., there are so many bikes for sale in this area I'd have trouble getting rid of it. Dealer actually didn't do too bad on the trade as I got 3500 for it which is about 700 under retail. My kawi has some yellowing of the chrome in spots, needs a front tire and front brakes. So, I didn't think it was that bad.
Couple of other dealers only came up with 2 grand or so on it.
As far as investment, lets say you have two bikes, a road king and a kawi vulcan 2000. Sort of same bike in a way. Which one is worth more? The Vulcan or the road king??? Thats what I meant by investment.
Some mentioned farings....I don't really like farings at all. Takes away from retro look....of course thats my opinion. Actually, don't like windshields either but the road king's windshield can be taken on and off in seconds.

Lucky...

Congrats on the new 11 RK. Sounds like a good deal. The dealership seemed to bend a bit for your business. Ride safe..

Just picked up my 2011 Road King three weeks ago. I traded in a Honda VTX1300C that I had had for three years and had put less than 2000 miles on ( back injury made riding the VTX more than 15 minutes pure agony). The RK is a dream! Comfortable and with great handling for this size bike. I went with the RK because the removable windshield (no faring!) and hard bags were exactly what I was looking for. I was leaning toward the Vivid Black until I saw the Merlot Sunglo... the wife wouldn't even let the dealer move the bike back to the showroom floor! Needless to say, the dealer got a slightly used Honda and I made room in the garage for my new scoot. Didn't even care that it took me 3 hours to clean it up after riding 50 miles home in a rain storm. One big difference - the longest the wife had even been on the Honda was 11 miles... we took the RK out for 4 HOURS the day after I brought it home from the dealer.

LAP; sounds like a sweet look'n RK - can't wait to see the pics. Congrats on the new scoot & ride safe. If you're happy - it was a great deal (that's all that matters).

Back