free website stats program Looking at Dyna purchase | Page 6 | Harley Davidson Forums

Looking at Dyna purchase

I'm still remembered as the guy that successfully overhauled his Honda 450SL in the dorm room - on a tarp in the living room . . . I'd never done anything like that before - or since. After I assembled it, I had a friend hep me tweek the carb and away it went! I'm a bit intimidated by the H-D's . . hopefully that will change with time . . . I'm already anticipating a K&N air filter pretty quickly . . . and maybe a nicer muffler to help the air filter - hahaha!

Yup! It'll probably happen!

Mark

Man, if you could handle that, you can probably handle anything on a Harley! HD's are actually pretty easy to work on. With the proper Service Manual, some good tools, and the help of your friends here at HDTimeline, there's really nothing you can't tackle!

Man, if you could handle that, you can probably handle anything on a Harley! HD's are actually pretty easy to work on. With the proper Service Manual, some good tools, and the help of your friends here at HDTimeline, there's really nothing you can't tackle!

I hope so! I'll have to update my tool set . . . a torque wrench is probably a good investment . . . Hmm . . I can see a new tachometer and an oil cooler in my future as well . . . :)

I hope so! I'll have to update my tool set . . . a torque wrench is probably a good investment . . . Hmm . . I can see a new tachometer and an oil cooler in my future as well . . . :)

You're going to need two torque wrenches actually...one in pound feet and one in pound inches.

If you need a maintenance manual there are several sites online where you can download them in PDF format for less than $10. I got one for my '07 Street Bob for $6.95

You're going to need two torque wrenches actually...one in pound feet and one in pound inches.

If you need a maintenance manual there are several sites online where you can download them in PDF format for less than $10. I got one for my '07 Street Bob for $6.95

I'll make sure I get both! Both manuals are part of the deal . . . Hmm . . . wouldn't I just multiply pound feet by 12 to get pound inches? And divide to go the other way? Eeek! Math Alert!

Mark:p

You will Love your Dyna! I see you are from the Nashaua area.....Im in Haverhill Ma.....so you will be hating the wait till spring to really give it a good long ride! I have a 2010 FXDC......my first bike and rode it home from the dealership with nothing but the safety course for experience! You'll be fine.

As far as gear goes......HD riding gear is overpriced! You can get MUCH better sruff for less money. I recommend the tourmaster air intake 2 jacket if you you are looking for a good safety jacket. I have the all black model and it "looks" good while riding on a cruiser. It is a true 3 season jacket as it is mesh with a rain proof liner and a winter liner......rode in it from 30 degrees all the way up to mid 90 degree weather and it is comfortable. Best quality armor and abbrasion resistance you can find......for $160!!! Also I recommend chippewa harness or engineer boots......the are $$$ but are MUCH better quality than HD brand boots. I do ride in a 1/2 helmet most of the time......and it is the only HD gear I own.........my wife picked it up for me for my Bday so it was a splurge!:D

That is my 2 cents on gear........but go with what you feel comfortable wearing.....some guys like to be emblazoned with HD logos from head to toe........I LOVE the bike.....but don't need to have the LOGO on everthing as I find there is better quality riding gear available!

Hey Mark,

Great purchase - looks like a beauty. Believe you will thoroughly enjoy the bike. Bought a 2010 FXDC Super Glide Custom last September - only had 2,700 kilometers (about 1700 miles) on odometer. Really a smooth ride and easy to balance - appears to have a lower center of gravity than my other bike (2006 Sportster 1200 Custom). Only problem encountered was cumbersome mid foot controls. At 6', decided to buy and install a set of forward foot controls (now perfect). I believe you should likely be OK with the mid foot controls. Happy riding.

wouldn't I just multiply pound feet by 12 to get pound inches? And divide to go the other way? Eeek! Math Alert!

Mark:p

You will find that inch pound torque wrench will not go high enough versus foot pound not going small enough......

Ok - that makes sense! Would I normally get that range buy purchasing a 3/8" and a 1/2" torque wrench? Who makes a good set? I like the krypton (sp?) tools from Lowes as well as the higher end sears stuff . . . any other good brands?

Thanks - Mark

Hey Mark,

Great purchase - looks like a beauty. Believe you will thoroughly enjoy the bike. Bought a 2010 FXDC Super Glide Custom last September - only had 2,700 kilometers (about 1700 miles) on odometer. Really a smooth ride and easy to balance - appears to have a lower center of gravity than my other bike (2006 Sportster 1200 Custom). Only problem encountered was cumbersome mid foot controls. At 6', decided to buy and install a set of forward foot controls (now perfect). I believe you should likely be OK with the mid foot controls. Happy riding.

Thanks - I sat on the bike - I'm 5'8" - and it just 'fit'. Tried some other of the Dyna based bikes and they just didn't 'fit'. It 'felt' right . . . so I bought it - haha! Not very scientific . . . for sure! But I guess that feel and fit are subjective . . . I might try putting some forward controls up if I do more cruising . . .
Mark

Ok - that makes sense! Would I normally get that range buy purchasing a 3/8" and a 1/2" torque wrench? Who makes a good set? I like the krypton (sp?) tools from Lowes as well as the higher end sears stuff . . . any other good brands?

Thanks - Mark

1/2" = Foot Pounds
3/8" = Inch pounds
Any tool outlet store like Harbor Freight or Sears Craftsman or Lowes
Do not buy the cheapest ones for they will not last or keep accuracy..

Back