free website stats program Looking at Dyna purchase | Page 5 | Harley Davidson Forums

Looking at Dyna purchase

My 10c. No one of gear suits all seasons, but you can layer up in your summer gear for spring and autumn and summer rides at altitude.
But to start with Boots, Gloves,eye protection, helmet and TRAINING.
I 've been riding nearly 40 years and I still take training because the only people that know it all are wives and I'm divorced:thanks so I do not have the benefit of the other halfs advice.
So book that training and read up on stuff like Proficient Motorcycling by Bob Hough thru the winter layoff. I don't agree with every word he writes but essentially its good stuff.

Thanks for the great advice . . . I'm a private pilot so I guess enjoy training !:s There is an organization here called M.O.S.T which I'll be taking training from in April. I currently have the '30 day temporary' license that the result of taking the NH written test. I only got this so that I could move it storage if necessary and make sure that I wasn't dependent on the dealership - if it came to that. Its now headed for storage . . . and I won't be riding it until I complete the training . . .they also have intermediate and advance training that I'll be taking advantage of as well . . .

Thanks again!

Mark

Enjoy your new bike and Merry Christmas, I can see your smile from here:rider

Thanks - and merry xmas to you and yours! Yeah . . . I feel I did well I can't wait to start riding . . . but doing some training and suiting up first . . . at least the basic requirements.

Thanks Again - Mark

Great advice - The H-D dealerships have a 'boutique' style store with clothing, bikes and accessories here in the states . . .its the only place that I've found that has any decent selection of helmets, leather, gloves and etc . . . I'm still looking though. I suppose I could order a helmet through amazon . ..I know I'm a xxl helmet . . . We'll see how that works out . . .
Mark

Thanks for the new duds section . . . I'll take a peek!
Mark

congrats on the new bike, nuthin quite like a new brand new bike. Its a good model, I have the Streetbob which similar and its a great ride in the turns and also for longer trips, the mid controls are the way to go when you want to turn up the wick in the twisties IMHO.
Enjoy the winter lay up by planning rides and events to go to and mebbe a tweak or two to liberate the motor-my choice there is Supertrapp 2-1 Supermegs, higher flowing airfilter of your choice, SEPST.
Merry christmas and good roads and weather to ya.

Thanks - I was thinking that a K&N or similar air filter would be first good upgrade . . . perhaps after breakin . . .
Mark

Last edited by a moderator:
Look out for Harley's way over priced leathers,jackets,boots,gloves and what ever, made in China JUNK. Made in USA for leathers is the way to go, I think it's Fox Creek that a lot of guys on here like to deal with for leathers. You live near the Mass border! lookout for Mass plates, most of them will just pull right in front of you like your not even there, I get it alot in Maine anyway so BEWARE. Do a USA leather in the search at the top of the page. Good luck and ride with pride.

Look out for Harley's way over priced leathers,jackets,boots,gloves and what ever, made in China JUNK. Made in USA for leathers is the way to go, I think it's Fox Creek that a lot of guys on here like to deal with for leathers. You live near the Mass border! lookout for Mass plates, most of them will just pull right in front of you like your not even there, I get it alot in Maine anyway so BEWARE. Do a USA leather in the search at the top of the page. Good luck and ride with pride.

Yeah . . . I've seen the bumper sticker on some Mass. plated cars. Can't even begin to describe it here because of its highly descriptive nature - ahem. You know the one . . . :newsmile058:
But anyway . . . I had read somewhere that NH has the highest % of registered motorcycles compared to the population. That's good advice about the leathers . . . I'll be shopping during the downtime . . .

Mark

Mark,
Congrats on the new Custom. I LOVE that bike! I had a red 07 with the flange less rims. The best part about the custom is that it is already dipped in chrome and looks great from the get-go. First accessory you may want to look at is a detachable backrest and luggage rack. As far as leathers, boots, gloves and helmet, leatherup.com has some insane prices and if you enter 55633 as a discount code, it will get you an additional 10% off. As for a helmet, look at the HJC modulars (CL-MAX2) as it is the same helmet that HD offers with their logo for about $100 more. Don't fall into the "it's gotta say Harley Davidson on it to be any good" trap or you will be "accessory poor" in no time. I have been VERY pleased with the quality of the Xelement brand offered by LeatherUp. And by ALL means, take the BRC (basic rider's course) at a minimum. It's really good and will teach you some great skills. The advanced course is great AFTER you get some time on your own bike as you use it for the advanced course. I'd recommend at least a year on your bike before attempting it. (no need to take the chance of scraping up your new baby with a rookie mistake. ). Last but definitely not least, ENJOY THE RIDE! New Hampshire / New England is beautiful riding (knowing that being originally from Vermont myself). Remember... There are OLD riders, and there are BOLD riders, but very very few OLD, BOLD riders. Ride safely and keep your eyes open for idiots. You won't have to look hard. They're all over out there, each doing their best to kill you.
Jim

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk V1.12.2

HDTimeline has done it again! Another one that has been bitten and I got a feeling really bad too. Congratulations Mark, enjoy your new ride and be sure to stay tuned, we'll have you tearing it apart to maintain it real soon........ :)

That price isn't too bad (a little high maybe) depending on what goodies come with it. I love the FXDC. Fun to ride and comes already dipped in chrome. Sure wish the motor was black/silver though. That gray doesn't do much for me. Guess you can't have everything. Welcome aboard & ride safely.

That price isn't too bad (a little high maybe) depending on what goodies come with it. I love the FXDC. Fun to ride and comes already dipped in chrome. Sure wish the motor was black/silver though. That gray doesn't do much for me. Guess you can't have everything. Welcome aboard & ride safely.

Yeah . . . I guess I could of got a better deal for a new bike . . . but this one isn't too bad. Its new, 11 miles, Security, mechanical and electrical manuals, remote security pager (rechargeable model), storage and winterizing. i agree it would be nice to have black/silver motor - but I like this color for sure. The chrome is just right - not too much - not too little. I would of liked the upgraded wheels . . . . but these are nice too! All for 12K out the door . . .

For 12K out the door I would say that you made a good deal.

Thanks - I might of been able to get a better deal . . . but this was everything I was looking for and within budget. The 2011 FXDC seems to reliable, powerful, good looking ride - and a Harley to boot! So I'm anxious for April - for sure!

Mark

Mark,
Congrats on the new Custom. I LOVE that bike! I had a red 07 with the flange less rims. The best part about the custom is that it is already dipped in chrome and looks great from the get-go. First accessory you may want to look at is a detachable backrest and luggage rack. As far as leathers, boots, gloves and helmet, leatherup.com has some insane prices and if you enter 55633 as a discount code, it will get you an additional 10% off. As for a helmet, look at the HJC modulars (CL-MAX2) as it is the same helmet that HD offers with their logo for about $100 more. Don't fall into the "it's gotta say Harley Davidson on it to be any good" trap or you will be "accessory poor" in no time. I have been VERY pleased with the quality of the Xelement brand offered by LeatherUp. And by ALL means, take the BRC (basic rider's course) at a minimum. It's really good and will teach you some great skills. The advanced course is great AFTER you get some time on your own bike as you use it for the advanced course. I'd recommend at least a year on your bike before attempting it. (no need to take the chance of scraping up your new baby with a rookie mistake. ). Last but definitely not least, ENJOY THE RIDE! New Hampshire / New England is beautiful riding (knowing that being originally from Vermont myself). Remember... There are OLD riders, and there are BOLD riders, but very very few OLD, BOLD riders. Ride safely and keep your eyes open for idiots. You won't have to look hard. They're all over out there, each doing their best to kill you.
Jim

Thanks for the info - yup I've looked at a couple of the sponsors and some recommended sites for leather. Fox Creek, Leather Up and etc they look great. I won't outfitting myself as a poser - for sure!! hahaha! Great saying too - sounds like the one for pilots - yup and I'm one of those too! I'll be taking the M.O.S.T course here in N.H. at the first thaw. Since I've already done the written, I can just show them my completion certificate and away I go. I believe that M.O.S.T also has intermediate courses - and another like you describe where they want you to have 2000 miles or one year under your belt. Sounds reasonable to me . . . . I'm getting some reading in on Harleys as well . . .I have Donny Petersens first 3 volumes on my nook - great reading - although a good bit of it I don't understand yet. And of course I have Proficient Motorcycling and am reading that as well . . . so some light reading for the off months!

Mark

HDTimeline has done it again! Another one that has been bitten and I got a feeling really bad too. Congratulations Mark, enjoy your new ride and be sure to stay tuned, we'll have you tearing it apart to maintain it real soon........ :)

I'm still remembered as the guy that successfully overhauled his Honda 450SL in the dorm room - on a tarp in the living room . . . I'd never done anything like that before - or since. After I assembled it, I had a friend hep me tweek the carb and away it went! I'm a bit intimidated by the H-D's . . hopefully that will change with time . . . I'm already anticipating a K&N air filter pretty quickly . . . and maybe a nicer muffler to help the air filter - hahaha!

Yup! It'll probably happen!

Mark

Last edited by a moderator:
Back