free website stats program Looking at Dyna purchase | Harley Davidson Forums

Looking at Dyna purchase

markfsanderson

Hello Folks!
In college I rode a Honda 450SL . . . I had always loved HD and dreamed of building a bike . . . but instead now I'm looking at a used 2009 Dyna Custom FXDC w/5043 miles w/out the alarm but with a nice two-tone paint job. I believe its the 'black-pearl/grey' combo. Very nice looking bike and fits me as well - I'm 5'8". It appears to be in immaculate condition - I can't even see any road rash on the tank. So a couple of questions:
1) I'm sure its a different riding bike from my old 450SL, but is there anything significant in its control thats different? More/less manueverability, braking, etc etc?
2) I haven't riden in a while, is this bike good for a new/old rider?

I'll be practicing quick stops and swerves in the parking lot just to be on the safe side . . . The local HD dealership is offering the bike for 10,900 . . . I've seen similar for as little as 9500 and as high as 11900 . . .the bike new is about 13000 . . .

Any advice or ideas? It'll be full-blown winter here pretty soon I assume I should be able to push a better deal . . . I've been pre approved for 12000 . . . but I don't necessarily want to spend all of that!

Thanks!
Mark

A Dyna would be a good bike for you. Have you checked out the bikes for sale here on HDT yet? another question is have you looked at the NADA or KBB value for this particular scoot?

Thanks for the help and quick response! Yup, I checked NADA motorcycle values and it does seem to be a good price according to NADA. I need to spend more 'quality time' with it to make sure that its in as good of condition as I hope it is. I couldn't find the motorcycle part of the kbb site . . . but I found the car section. I haven't has a chance to look at the the bikes here on hdtimeline . . . I'll take a look - thanks!

Mark

Welcome to the forum Mark. I've had a Dyna for almost 20 years (newer ones are even nicer). It has been from Key West to New Hampshire, and I enjoyed every mile. There are lots of accessories available for Dyna's new and used. Since you live in a seasonal riding area, I feel the prices will only get better into deep winter.

Thats my hope . . . they are asking 10,900 for an FXDC w/5034 miles and apparently excellent condition . . . we'll see how flexible the price is in a couple of weeks . ..:s
Mark

this may help.
Motorcycle - Trade-In Values & Retail Prices - Kelley Blue Book[/url]

Thanks for the info!
Mark

Last edited by a moderator:
I love my Dyna - It's my 2nd Harley, I traded my 883, and I don't regret it one bit. Here is a machine that does 70 mph with the 6th gear yet to engage!! A 2012 Super Glide Custom is about $16,000, so the asking price on yours seems fair. The thing with my bike is how personalized I can make it. Mine is now completley black and white (chrome) I have stripped off the orange and red reflectors and covered up the signal lights with smoke grey lenses and black & chrome tail lamp. I am about 5'11" and the bike fits me well. I put 4 inch pull back risers on the handle bars. I like the way I reach for the bars now, 6 inch would have been better, but I did not want to mess with the wiring. I would say that this is a good bike for you, as you have riding experience. Just don't use front brakes at low speeds. lol I think the Super Glide Custom is so pretty...

Attachments

• Mustang seat 002.jpg
    Mustang seat 002.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 56
I went from an 883 to my recent fxdf as well. one thing to keep in mind, anything with floor boards you are not going to be able to lean as much. that was the biggest reason, I went from my desired fat boy, to the fat bob. Also, I purchased mine in Jan and was basically able to name my price. so if you are willing to gamble that the bike will still be there when it gets real cold then for sure I would just tell them like 9k (or less if you're a good haggler) and see where they go from there. my dealer sales guy just told me HD just started offering 1% financing on new bikes, something to keep in mind. my buddy was looking at the anniversary v-rods is why he brought it up.

I do know a Mark Andersen in ATL, GA.

I love my Dyna - It's my 2nd Harley, I traded my 883, and I don't regret it one bit. Here is a machine that does 70 mph with the 6th gear yet to engage!! A 2012 Super Glide Custom is about $16,000, so the asking price on yours seems fair. The thing with my bike is how personalized I can make it. Mine is now completley black and white (chrome) I have stripped off the orange and red reflectors and covered up the signal lights with smoke grey lenses and black & chrome tail lamp. I am about 5'11" and the bike fits me well. I put 4 inch pull back risers on the handle bars. I like the way I reach for the bars now, 6 inch would have been better, but I did not want to mess with the wiring. I would say that this is a good bike for you, as you have riding experience. Just don't use front brakes at low speeds. lol I think the Super Glide Custom is so pretty...

You have a nice looking bike!
Mark

I went from an 883 to my recent fxdf as well. one thing to keep in mind, anything with floor boards you are not going to be able to lean as much. that was the biggest reason, I went from my desired fat boy, to the fat bob. Also, I purchased mine in Jan and was basically able to name my price. so if you are willing to gamble that the bike will still be there when it gets real cold then for sure I would just tell them like 9k (or less if you're a good haggler) and see where they go from there. my dealer sales guy just told me HD just started offering 1% financing on new bikes, something to keep in mind. my buddy was looking at the anniversary v-rods is why he brought it up.

I do know a Mark Andersen in ATL, GA.

Yup . . . that's what I"m going to try to do . . . we'll see how it works out! I have 45 days on my loan until I have to reapply . . . so I should be able to find a bike . . . No relation to Mark in ATL though . . lol!

Last edited by a moderator:
Pratice, pratice and then pratice your emergency procedures a little more.

Welcome. Enjoy yourself!

Back