free website stats program Lookin' for Saddlebag Or Seat Locking Systems... | Harley Davidson Forums

Lookin' for Saddlebag Or Seat Locking Systems...

chiachio

I just mounted a set of the VRSC Saddlebags yesterday...

Has anyone heard of a method of securing the zippers from being opened by theives? How about a locking system for the seat, that will keep access to the fuel and ECU secure? I work in Philadelphia and refuse to park my "11" N-Rod Special anywhere close-by without a solution to these issues.

Personal Experience; On two consecutive nights last year my son came out of his apartment to find that his bike had been shoved off of it's kickstand. Fortunately, he was riding a twenty-year-old honda which continued to run after bending its shift-rod, handlebar and turn signal lamp back into place. On the second night he decided to chain it up to a sign-post expecting this to resolve the issue but the bike was up-ended again the following night as well. I offered to spend the next-night in my car about 60 yards away but he decided to chain-it up close to his apartment doorway instead, and he moved from the location shortly thereafter.

I realize that there's no easy way of preventing this level of vandalism, but I'd like to practice some good common-sense prevention to protect my saddlebags contents and the bikes vital health.

Once I arrive at work I'm not able to leave the premises for the next eight-hours. I've got the Security Package as well as the siren and Remote receiver, neither of which will protect these two vulnerable locations on the bike.

Any knowledge regarding security solutions for these two area's would be greatly appreciated.

chiachio

Much appreciated Iceman24...
Although there weren't any locks available for the seat/saddlebag set-up on my bike, it's good to know where to locate those he does carry. The unusual zipper configuration (two running parallel approx. 4" apart) on each bag, stop at a dead-end, which doesn't provide a means to mount a lock. The exterior of the bags themselves are covered with ballistic nylon, over a thin plastic tub-form.

The seat creates another unique challenge altogether. It pivots-up on it's right side uncovering the fuel cap, and the closed position causes the pin on the frame with a deep grommet in the bottom of the seat. Unfortunately HD offers no solution for securing either location, at least not that I'm aware of.

I posted my question in the VRSC section of the forum hoping that same-model owners might have already resolved these issues. Fortunately, the bags are small and mount with a quick-release mechanism allowing their removal without any difficulty. I may create an electrical circuit directly from the battery to the seat (12-VOLT) which might cause a thief to reconsider after its initial introduction. Any idea's on wiring this type of circuit could certainly be helpful.

Local riding doesn't pose a concern for me, only times while I'm unable to monitor the bike periodically close-by.

chiachio

Back