free website stats program look over or under windshield | Harley Davidson Forums

look over or under windshield

I can't decide whether to cut my windshield so I see over it or leave it alone and continue to look through it. Those foggy mornings I have to peer over the windshield. What are the pros and cons? What do you think?

What are the pros and cons?

Bugs in your teeth as opposed to on the windshield.:D

I like to be able to see just over the top edge of the windshield sitting up tall or through it sitting comfortable.

It really boils down to personal preference. You most definitely don't want the top of it at eye level; too much distortion. Conventional wisdom says about a couple of inches below the eye line. Wind buffeting is a concern to many and the height affects that. I'm vertically challenged, 5'6", and the stock shield on my Heritage leaves the height a couple of inches above my eye line. I get a clear view and enjoy the protection from bugs to my forehead.

You already mentioned the main con of looking through the shield - impaired safety due to reduced visibility anytime you run into rain or fog.

The biggest problem with lowering it to just below eye level is that you will invariably get more buffeting. This is a worthwhile tradeoff IMHO. Besides, there are literally dozens of after market shield makers with products that will throw the buffeting a little higher, hopefully right over the top of your helmet.

I like to look over mine. I am 6'4" so, that is a good thing. I have the longer windsheild on my RK. There is a point where you just look over the top and get no wind. I can position myself on my bike to find this point. You could experiment and cut your windshield perfect.

With love bug season in full swing here in Fla. I am really happy with all of my windshield. I can position myself to see just over the top or through. Every year I think I am going to cut my windshield down and every love bug season, I'm glad I didn't.

Bodeen

This is how I figured out what I wanted to do. If you are lucky the shield is high. Do some highway riding and move your head up and down and see what you like. For me, I found that there was glare and reflections sometimes looking through the shield. I also noticed that when my eyes were just above the shield the wind and bugs were diverted up and over my helmet.

If you find you want to cut the shield down. I masked off the cut line and used a belt sander, I then wet sanded the edge round and smooth. It’s been one year with no issues.

Back