free website stats program Long Trip Seat Comfort | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Long Trip Seat Comfort

Hi, I was getting used to only taking short trips because of Numb Butt and that raw feeling on the inside of the thighs, then I looked at all the info on the web I could find, and after reading about a tour across the country where they were testing different pads, I bought the Air Hawk. Now my rear end is always ready for more riding. The testers said after the trip the only one they would use is the Air Hawk. They tested memory foam, gel pads and a few others and they raved about the Air Hawk. I didn't try a Sundowner or Mustang because although the Air Hawk was way over $100 it sure beats buying a new seat and maybe having the same problem. Getting one for the passenger will really shut down the whining factor..... Good luck. They can have my Air Hawk when they pry it from my cold dead fingers.....

I have tried every seat out there and found cost should not be a part of the equation. Comfort first. Harley DOES NOT make a seat that will give lasting comfort.
My choice for the last 100k miles has been Corbin. don't buy it used, because it HAS to get broke in to your butt. It takes anywhere up to 1k miles to break in. My wife' Corbin was put on the day before going to Sturgis, broke-in in 200 miles.
If your on a trip and your butt hurts so bad you'd pay anything to make it go away, Pay it forward and be done.

Mustang here and love it can ride all day and the next and the next but thats my comfort.Nice and wide holds the butt good.Also dont forget spare passanger neck brace from local store helps the passanger sleep.With out wiplash.

Gotta say that I just love the stock seat on my 08 Ultra. Had some long days with no complaints. Just lucky I guess!

Best seat made for me is the Russell , they build it to you height , weight, inseam. It comes with a real guarntee and also has a spring suspension that supports your hips.

Using the 07 FLHT stock seat. Suffering from numb butt. Looked at all the threads pertaining to seats and it lists Corbin, Musatang, Sundowner etc. and such. I'm kinda hestitant to buy a seat online and fine out it doesn't do the job. Went to the dealer and they have a sheep skin gel pack for a couple of hundred bucks, has anyone used these and how did it work out. Willing to waste a few hundred and find out it didn't work than waste 4 or 5 hundred on a seat that doesn't work.

Everyone that rides touring bikes what do you like, remember I ride two up for long distances and if she isn't happy I won't be happy.

I gotta give props to the Sundowner seat. Made a huge difference on my StreetGlide. I have no complaints with it. However, I imagine that the size of your butt will determine wich seat works best for the individual sitting on it.

Found this post, had to register to share on the seat issue. This was my first Harley, Bought in January of 2007. Figured out I had an issue with this comfort stitch seat at 1500 miles, did not know what to do. Did research on the net, found a person in NJ that did memory foam in the seat, works for the passenger, but not for me. I would not use memory foam again. I wanted to leave the bike after an 80 mile ride. Did more research, took the seat off, cut out the memory foam, cut the butt area out of the seat, 1/2" from the pan, replaced foam with 1/2" layers of commercial carpet rebond foam, built back up to 1" of original height. Using 3M super adhesive spray to hold layers together. Put cover back on, road the bike, learned that the padding is now sqeezing up into the butt crack. Took off seat, removed front part of the cover, had some astro turf foam, cut out 1/2" layer of padding under the butt/leg area, replaced with astro turf 3/8" (harder) foam. Used 4 1/2" disc grinder with a sanding disc, I ground out foam in the tailbone area 1/4" lower than the top level of the astro turf foam. Put cover back on, reset the highway pegs, took the bike for an 825 mile ride, what a blessing. No more monkey scooching or numb butt cheeks. At 100 miles, I can feel the seat dropping out from under my butt, but no pain or scooching. So I get off, get a drink, hop back on and the foam is back up where it originally started. Another 100 miles down the road, another 10 minute break. The foam that I would look for to replace the rebond carpet foam would be (closed cell around 100 ILD foam) Closed cell will not drop out from under the butt. Each person is different on the seat, now I have a seat that fits her and I both, which Harley could not do this with the OEM Comfort Stitch, Comfort Stitch modified per a professional, Sundowner or Reach seat, (I have tried all of these) Either her or I where not comfortable on the OEM seats. I have a 2007 Road Glide seat I am getting ready to try. But the Remodified Comfort Stitch seat that I did, works fantastic. It took me from 1500 miles to 14,000 miles to get this figured out, which is what I have on the bike now. The seat is now about 1 1/4" lower than the stock height. I weigh 190 Lbs @ 5'11" I am almost ready to try an iron butt ride... Happy riding!

Well I am back from Orlando and sad to say still have that iron butt. I tried all the adjustments I could with the air hawk. I was told to get Sheepskin and it might help. Seems to me if I am just tooling around 35-50 mph (for hrs)all is well, but lock on to 70mph for an hr or so, there is a vibration that just rips though me and my butt. Any ideas? Talking about a 03 Heritage Springer.

My Night Train came with a Badlander seat that would kill my back and butt after about 45 min. I did a bunch of research and found a Corbin seat to be the most ergonomic, but the stiffest (according to many forums). I love the Corbin seat because it's VERY supportive and my butt and back don't hurt. Longest trip was 650 with no problems. Most people want a big puffy couch to plop their butts in and that's why a lot of people don't like Corbin seats. Regardless of what your preferences are, you have to find the one that suits you the best, because what works some doesn't always work for others.

Back