free website stats program Long Term Storage Question | Harley Davidson Forums

Long Term Storage Question

airforceacop

Hey Guys,

I've got a question for long term storage, ...I've a got a 07 883 XL Sportster that I bought for my wife, last year, she was suppose to get her licence before we got orders for Germany. Well I got my orders 6 months before she got hers, with me being gone she got busy with dealing with all the things to move the family to germany she didn't find the time to take the course and test. So now I have her Sporty and my Road King. I can't ride both, and really don't want to pay the Insurance on both...it's about 1600 bucks per year per bike. So I just want to store hers untill we get back to Canada. What type of things do I need to store it for 3 years. My garage isn't heated but never got below 50 degrees last winter and also act's as my Bar Room so I do have heater in the garage when we are using it as the Bar which heats it up to about 75 degrees....I do have a jack that I can jack it up off the ground and battery tender, but do I want to leave it on the tender for 3 years...not sure what to do ...please help?

Thanks Glider, i did do a search and saw that, I do that stuff anyway for winter, but because I was going to store it longer than 4-5 months I thought more was needed....like changing the oil every year, or run the engine to keep to the lube running thru it....or fogging the engine...anything required to do to the brakes...ect

Not much to do with the brakes. If you put anything on the rotors to stop rusting , it can be difficult to remove and could cause problems.

Fogging the engine is a good measure if it is going to be sitting for a time. Also cover the exhaust ends so nobody unwanted builds a nest in there.

it's going to be sitting for 3 and a bit years....now just where to find foggin stuff here in Germany...or better yet how do you say it in german? I can order a beer and say please and thank you....better start researching!lol

nebel is fog in german i dont relly know what foggin is or i might be able to get a good name of a german product if give a few days
My wife is german and her best mate works in a car dealeship and i could email her for product if i knew what you mean by foggin

Brian

nebel is fog in german i dont relly know what foggin is or i might be able to get a good name of a german product if give a few days
My wife is german and her best mate works in a car dealeship and i could email her for product if i knew what you mean by foggin

Brian

fogging the inside of the engine with a mixture of oil to prevent rust, Ill bet some one in the military knows what to use and where to get it:D

Ive sent a yahoo pm to tina perhaps she will get back to me over the next couple of bays

Brian

"Fogging an engine" for storage which is done when an engine is to be stored for a time consists of running the engine and stalling it out by using a fogging agent which comes in an aerosol can. You can also use Marvel mystery oil for fogging it too. Just make sure to add the STA-BIL to the fuel and run it in before fogging the engine.

The concept is to coat the internal engine parts so they don't rust or corrode in any way.

Back