free website stats program Long Days Ride | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Long Days Ride

I plan on drinking a lot of water. I know even on a 40 mile ride to work I am thirsty when I get there.

It might pay to do a little conditioning before the ride. I mean eating healthy, taking multivitamins, and not drinking much alcohol for a few days to get your body stockpiled. Your ride is 3 1/2 times what you have done before, and you will have a passenger on the way home. Mental fatigue is as much of a factor as physical.

I am planning on a run up to Travers City Mi before i go. This run will be around 300 miles. I wont have a passenger. He will be on his own bike.

I tried the shorts with pads. Not comfortable at all. What works for me is the slick $10 spandex type shorts at academy. Keeps the jeans from bunching up in the wrong places. 2700 miles in 4 1/2 days last summer 1 day was 730miles. Ride safe.

A couple days of 700 miles will be alot of time in the saddle. Even if you cruise around 80 your going to average 70 mph. That's 10 hours of riding. Four gas stops 10 to 15 minutes, that's 11 hours, stop to eat, etc, etc that's 12 hours. Unless it is straight open interstate you will be lucky to average 65. So you are looking at 12 to 14 hours days. Then get up and do it again.

I would get a early start and adjust my schedule for shorter days just in case.

Good luck and be safe.

I did a 1400 round trip over memorial day. 13 hours down, 11 back.

We are meeting up with him at about a half way point. Then coming back to Mi for Bike Week. My brotherinlaw did this twice before on a hugger. This time he will be on a RK and I will be on my Softail std. I am thinking it will be all of a 14 hour day. It it gets to much there is always motel 6. They'll leave the light on for me.

We are meeting up with him at about a half way point. Then coming back to Mi for Bike Week. My brotherinlaw did this twice before on a hugger. This time he will be on a RK and I will be on my Softail std. I am thinking it will be all of a 14 hour day. It it gets to much there is always motel 6. They'll leave the light on for me.

Good plan. I do not have a riders back rest. I have bag I sit on the passenger seat and strap it to the passenger's back rest. Works good for a riders backrest.

I am headed to Vermont next week. It is 1000 miles up, I'm going to split that ride in half. Physically I am good, but after 12 hours or so of road focus and concentration. I start to loss the mental capacity to be safe.

It might pay to do a little conditioning before the ride. I mean eating healthy, taking multivitamins, and not drinking much alcohol for a few days to get your body stockpiled. Your ride is 3 1/2 times what you have done before, and you will have a passenger on the way home. Mental fatigue is as much of a factor as physical.

And lots and lots of posterior crunches to strengthen those cheek muscles.:p

He better be careful, if he lets you ride his RK, you may not want to give it back.:D

I've been searching for the best way to relieve the posterior pain experienced during long rides and haven't found anything yet, so any ideas I can get from here would be nice. I've tried silk shorts (bunched up) and talcum powder -kept my bottom cooler/relieved the sticky shorts caused by sweating.

I've done two long days on a bike. The first 20 yrs ago on a V45 Magna about 690 miles Lac du Bonnet to Gillam in northern Manitoba (the last 160 miles on crushed granite/gravel). The second about 5 yrs ago 650 miles, on a '83 Goldwing, from Biggar Saskatchewan to Lac du Bonnet. The last one was harder to do than the first; age tends to soften up the posterior.

Back