Loctite

Discussion in 'General Harley Davidson Topic' started by Ozoneman, Feb 26, 2008.

1. Ozoneman

Ozoneman Active Member

I changed my mirrors on my Ultra. Do I need to use Loctite? If so, do you suggest the red or blue?

2. Ozoneman

Ozoneman Active Member

What kind of things would you use loctite on?

3. glider

glider Veteran Member

Let's say that locktite is for critical fasteners, the red is for brake calipers and that sort of thing that do not get removed often and can be removed with the application of some heat to the bolt. The blue can be used anywhere there is a need to keep things from vibrating loose and can be removed with a wrench with no problems afterwards.

Loctite Applications and Tips - Harley Davidson Community

4. blackmouth

blackmouth Member

GREAT link glider.

OZ...my recommendation is put the BLUE loctite on those mirrors. It CAN NOT hurt. Harley's are known for their vibration and you don't want to lose a mirror while out on the road.

IMO, I keep a bottle of blue loctite in my toolchest and use it on EVERY bolt I may remove on my cycle. I've yet to use the red.

5. dllowrider

dllowrider Member

I work at a power plant and use at least a dozen Loctite products. Blue is for fasteners. 242 comes apart with a wrench, 262 with a big wrench, and 292 with a torch and a big wrench. They also sell a primer that increases the bond strength. I've twisted 3/4'' bolts in two that were primered and set with 292. Red is a retaining compound. Let's say you spun a bearing race in it's housing and needed a quick "temporary" fix. Most will fill up to a .010" gap.

6. Flashback

Flashback Active Member

Never used the red so cant say on that but am a firm believer in the blue on anything i don't want vibrating loose. Specially useful on fasteners that have to be torqued to spec. Will help keep them where they belog.

FB

7. Agro

Agro Active Member

My opinion (Not that is worth much) is a properly maintained machine does not need Loktite.

8. pahunter

pahunter Active Member

I posted this before I believe. You can use finger nail polish if you would like. I use it and have had no problems.. Ride Safe Doug

9. pahunter

pahunter Active Member

Joe A bottle of nail polish is so cheap as compared to loctite. I do use both at times Ride Safe Doug

10. Davidw2415

Davidw2415 Senior Member

Hey Joe, yo might want to check out these two golfers sites.

Erica Blasberg - Official Website - Professional LPGA Golfer Be sure and check out the "picture this' link

Anna Rawson Photos