free website stats program Locks on Detachable Stuff? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Locks on Detachable Stuff?

Do You Have Locks On Your Detachable Stuff?

• Yes

Votes: 8 19.0%
  • No

Votes: 31 73.8%
  • No, but after reading this brilliant poll, I will!

Votes: 3 7.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I had my car broken in to about 10 years ago, they cut the stereo out of the dash. When I took it to the adjuster he said something that has stayed with me since, "Locks are for honest people. If anyone wants it badly enough, a lock will not deter them."

FWIW...

I pay insurance so I don't have to worry. Seems silly to do both.

I bet that my bike is going to get stolen. My insurance company bets it isn't.

One thought I’ve had in the past was if someone stole my detachable passenger backrest with luggage rack, where would they get the hardware to attach my detachable to another bike. Does Harley sell detachable components?

Be the first one on your block to own one. I don't and I don't even lock the tour-pak or the bike. I go for the wise old saying "all that locks or good for is to keep and honest man honest".:unsure

I'll admit this has crossed my mind lately as I'm planning a solo trip to see my brother & it will involve a hotel stay.I'm not planning on putting any locks on my bike,but locking what already came with a lock....my question for you guys is...do you take anything off of the bike for the overnight at a hotel....not bike rally related.I'm talking about things like detachable windshield, backrest etc.

I'll admit this has crossed my mind lately as I'm planning a solo trip to see my brother & it will involve a hotel stay.I'm not planning on putting any locks on my bike,but locking what already came with a lock....my question for you guys is...do you take anything off of the bike for the overnight at a hotel....not bike rally related.I'm talking about things like detachable windshield, backrest etc.

Just me, but I'd take off anything detachable and let it spend the night in the room with me. Think how bad the rest of your trip would suck without a windshield, backrest, etc.

I take my luggage that I need when I go into a motel,everything else stays with the bike. I have never had a problem

Mostly curious about detachable tour packs but I guess it would apply to backrests, too. How many of you have made your detachable items lockable? Pretty sizeable investment sitting on the back of the bike and anyone with a basic knowledge of how they work can get them off in seconds!

DR.,

I used one of these on my detachable tour pack. Would slow them down some from flipping the latches and taking off with the entire tour pack.

Harley-Davidson USA | Accessories And Apparel | Genuine Motor Accessories :)

RichardS, you are so right, one would think in this day and age "add on sales" would be the stressed, I know way back when I was in retail that was an important part of floor sales in the retail business. Was too young to get "commission" back then, but sure received a lot of aftermarket sponser goodies for doing a slam bang job! Mystery shoppers, hah, offer 3 or more featured items while talking to the customer...check, provide good customer service and complete the transaction in less than 3 minutes, on top of it...increase tire sales by 30%?...oh yeah, add on either air/gas filter if needed on LOF sales...not a problem!

Just kinda wish I saw that get up and go hustle when I visited ANY automotive or motorcycle dealer, don't really care about all the certificates on the walls, just the enthusiasm and hustle to get my business, I expect that from a dealer, why would I go to an independent if I received less?

Last edited:
I guess you don't need 'em until you loose a $1,000 plus tour pack and all the stuff inside of 'em. For the very small price, buy 'em. Just keeps the honest, honest and the others WILL go to an easier steal. Besides, gives ya a little more confidence that your stuff will be there after a tour of the vendors or whatever.

It's not like your going to take the tour pack or rack etc.. off all the time. I never really took my tour pack off much except to wash the bike. Just nice that no one else adding MY tour pack assessory to THEIR bike. :D
Ugly John

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back