free website stats program Locks on Detachable Stuff? | Harley Davidson Forums

Locks on Detachable Stuff?

Do You Have Locks On Your Detachable Stuff?

• Yes

Votes: 8 19.0%
  • No

Votes: 31 73.8%
  • No, but after reading this brilliant poll, I will!

Votes: 3 7.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr. Dolittle

Experienced Member
Contributor
Retired Moderators
Mostly curious about detachable tour packs but I guess it would apply to backrests, too. How many of you have made your detachable items lockable? Pretty sizeable investment sitting on the back of the bike and anyone with a basic knowledge of how they work can get them off in seconds!

I have some locks but I have only used them once or twice. When traveling I usually stop for relatively short periods....gas, eats, etc. The way my bags attach it take a couple of steps to remove the bags so I don't worry about it. 'course the bags come off for the overnighters. I don't camp anymore....don't believe in leaving any more than necessary in a motel parking lot overnight.

Morning Doc..
I have the Heritage Softtail Classic, I usually carry a Back Pack (small one) along for the long rides. Not much to it or really to worry about, but it's still my stuff. I make the short stops w/no worries. The long breaks, I'll carry it around w/me, but it always stays on my mind when leaving it on the bike. I usually tie it down good the keep it from being so easy to snatch and run...

Doc, I have never had any issues, but I live in a low crime area. It's always possible, but I just never thought it was a huge advantage.

Lew,I live in what they call an ''executive'' neighbourhood and a couple years ago they targeted our area,spent about a week doing break ins and then moved to another area. Police at the time told us this is the new M.O..They didn't break into my house,but they did get my next door nieghbor.That said no I'm not going to lock my detachables. I'm still that guy that loses his keys ,looks all over for them and then realizes he left them in the ignition of the car while he was gone for the weekend!

About 2 weeks ago I came across the locks for detachable backrest/sissybar and I've been thinking about getting them. Help keep an honest man honest.

Interesting that of all the rallies and events Ive attended I dont ever recall a tour pack or any other accesory item being stolen.Plenty of electronics and entire bikes, but never a tour pac or the like.

Morning Doc..
I have the Heritage Softtail Classic, I usually carry a Back Pack (small one) along for the long rides. Not much to it or really to worry about, but it's still my stuff. I make the short stops w/no worries. The long breaks, I'll carry it around w/me, but it always stays on my mind when leaving it on the bike. I usually tie it down good the keep it from being so easy to snatch and run...

Hey Shag,

That's one great signature. Bet it's true too.:D

Interesting that of all the rallies and events Ive attended I dont ever recall a tour pack or any other accesory item being stolen.Plenty of electronics and entire bikes, but never a tour pac or the like.

I've noticed the same thing - GPS's, $500 helmets, gorgeous leather jackets draped over seats. I'm sure it happens occasionally but there seems to be such a spirit of comraderie at these rallies that noone ever even thinks for a second about messing with someone's stuff.

I'd be more concerned with being in the bathroom at a Waffle House in the middle of nowhere on a long trip and having a couple youngun's of questionable lineage not be able to resist the temptation of throwing my tour pack into the back of their pickup and taking off.

I said "no" most of the time I have little concern about stuff getting stolen. Low crime area. I may rethink this as the economy worsens and property crime increases.

Hey Shag,

That's one great signature. Bet it's true too.:D

Thanks Brook63...
My Sister in Law put it in mind, I liked it. but think about it...you see the Corvets, the Mersades, the Jags etc. out front of the office..these people are all keyed up I guess..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back