free website stats program Locked up | Harley Davidson Forums

Locked up

bubbacraft

I locked my steering wheel to the left. A neighbor came to look at it and now it won't unlock. :( it is cold may be frozen ? dunno any ideas please

The lock can be finicky and stick. Lube lock with wd-40, by spraying into key hole then make sure key is inserted completely into lock. Try to slightly move bars while trying to unlock. Best to be sitting on bike when doing this for better control. Doubt it is frozen....

The lock can be finicky and stick. Lube lock with wd-40, by spraying into key hole then make sure key is inserted completely into lock. Try to slightly move bars while trying to unlock. Best to be sitting on bike when doing this for better control. Doubt it is frozen....

Mine is a little sticky so I have to giggle the handlebars againsed the stop.

Both above is what I would suggest.
I would add a question???

Do You have another key that can get Mixed Up (two different bikes?)

Has happened to me so I sold the Miss-Matched bike for a new bike so that the keys were Different,,,,,,,

Just kidd'n

signed....BUBBIE

Well that's the last time I will ever lock the forks. Thank You DBMG and DR EVIL fixed. Well unlocked.

Well that's the last time I will ever lock the forks. Thank You DBMG and DR EVIL fixed. Well unlocked.

Could you tell us WHY it would not un-lock?

If it is just a Jiggle problem,,,,, The Old HD dealer saying "they all do that " Might fit here.

Thanks

signed....BUBBIE

It is not an unusual problem on any kind of motorcycle for these type of locks just remember to keep it lubricated with a light oil and give handlebar a wee bit of a wiggle when trying to unlock and you should be ok

Brian

If it is just a Jiggle problem,,,,, The Old HD dealer saying "they all do that " Might fit here.

Thanks

signed....BUBBIE

I just wanted to HEAR what type of problem it turned out to be...

If a barrel key ? Did it NOT want to go into the lock? or just a jiggle problem..?

The locking mechanism has been a problem on a few Barrel key types, : the lock partially turns Not allowing the "key to enter"".. The solve I heard about was to Take One of your barrel keys and FILE OFF the alignment tip so you can get the Key into the lock to turn it,,,,, Regardless of where the lock has slipped to or UN- aligned.

Information BACK to find out What the problem was is useful for me and the MANY others who read these post...

signed....BUBBIE

Thanks

signed....BUBBIE

Yes it was, I sprayed fluid film directly into the lock with the red hose attached. I then sat on the bike and wiggled the bars as I trying the key. It almost felt like I broke something (light) when it released.

Mine actually unlocks fine but when turning the key to the lock possition the key is hard to remove, so I giggle the bars and apply a little extra pressure in the lock direction and out it comes. WD40 only made it slightly better.

Glad you got it unlocked. This may be my first official post that helped someone out. Feel pretty good about it, think I'll go have a beer now. :s

Back