free website stats program Lock for backrest and Rack | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Lock for backrest and Rack

I spent about 100 or more nights in a motel with my bike parked out side just this year alone.
Motels are the last place you need to worry about now days. I can not remember the last time I saw one with out some kind of security cameras.
And They never have a problem with you parking your bike up front were there are eyes on it all the time.
Some even have special parking spots for them .
If you want bike were you can see it from the room talk to them about that when you make reservations. They will not think your crazy.

Wow! Even at $50/night, that's a major travel expense. Do you have a way to deduct that from something other than your annual income?

As someone thats had their bike stolen from them, I know anything can be taken at any given time if someone really wants it. Piece of mind for 50 bucks is well worth the cost to me. I have the H-D lock on my FHLX and with one quick key I can easly remove the back rest when I want to. I'm not one that has to buy everything H-D but their lock fits me.

I helped install a set of these on my buddy's SG this morning. Very easy to install, well made and they look good. You really don't even notice them unless you're looking for them. They're only .5" wide and less than 1" long. I think they're great insurance for $20. If I had QD stuff on my scooter, I'd use them. JMO

46 bux at the harley dealer for 1 lock and my tourpack is safe as the rest of the bike. it only cost 30 dollars to have the lock on my pak keyed to match my bike. the keys that come w the harley quik detach lock are stupid they are too long and you have to have good coordination to make it work. you can unscrew the locking barrel on the key itself and install it on a more reasonable piece of metal. good luck but i agree if someone wants in they are gonna get in. I am pretty sure someone pointing a gun at you gets past most security systems.

Well, I went ahead and gave this a try. Nifty little item. It's billet and came with my choice of bolt (I chose button head torx) and even came with the torx head to use. Easy to install. Installed on both my backrest and luggage rack. All in all, I'm satisfied.

Some pics...

Very small...

100_0143.jpg

Side shot of it on...

100_0146.jpg

View of the backrest. One lock on one off so you can see how small it is...

100_0144.jpg

View of the luggage rack from rear. Very hard to see...

100_0147.jpg

Ride safe and have fun!

imho..outta SIGHT OUTTA MIND...get a black bike cover,,,covered at night very very hard to pick up..takes a lot of time to remove to try and get your bike..
lock all locks , remove all loose bunged belongings ....maybe a wheel lock? the real thieves who want it will get it ALL,, not just your bags..but thats my thoughts..good luck..ryd:D

Have I ever mentioned how much I love Google search? I've been shopping around for some locks for my backrest, I was ready to drop the $70+ dollars on the HD locks until I came across this thread. I'll have to admit that after reading some of the poor reviews on the HD locks and how they fall apart I'm glad I found these clamps. Obviously, nothing is 100% theft proof but these clamps appear to be a far more secure than the HD locks. Can't wait to get them installed and not have to worry about whether or not the backrest will be missing the next time my wife and I take a ride and I park my bike wear it's not visible.

It looks like you just install these with a screw driver. I'm sure the average thief has some tools available. Am I missing something? I have the H-D detachable mount locks and the lock is much more likely to stay in place in comparison to a screw, be it torx or otherwise. Just my 2 cents.

Hi Everyone,

I just picked up a RoadKing this weekend and it came with the docking hardware attached. Now I need to find a BackRest , Luggage Rack Combo and I had been wondering about wether or not to just remove it all and Bolt on the new stuff.

The HD Lock looks like cheap insurance, I'll probably go with that.

Any recommendations for the Rest /Rack for the RK?

Back