free website stats program loading up at Idle | Harley Davidson Forums

loading up at Idle

Babe

This Fuel injected Duece suddenly started loading up and stalling at idle,speedometer quit working at the same time, I checked for intake leak with carb cleaner, plugs were very black so I replaced them. I suspect something is making this thing run rich but I do not know test procedures, I have Harley Soft tail repair Manual but it doesnt give diagnostic procedures.Any Help would be appreciated. Bike has 39,000 miles, new cams and chain tensioner 500 miles ago. Thank You

Thanks , thats alot of info, I bet it is running by the end of the week. I will let you know. Thank You

Tried to get code to flash, no code coming at all , cleaned speed sensor , re-installed, still idles rich and dies. Did not test drive after cleaning sensor, runs to bad. Got frustrated so time to quit until tommorow. Maybe check connections? Any more suggestions Greatly Appreciated.

I jumped diagnostic pins to check codes , got no code, cleaned speed sensor re- installed slill runs the same, what next please. :dknow

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Duece still loading up

I think there needs to be a little more information. When loading up, are you saying the engine acts like it is starved for fuel, if so check the fuel filter in the tank, the lines, clamps etc. as well as loosen the filler cap slightly. Or is it that the engine starts fine when cold, but as the engine warms up, the idle falls lower and lower until it dies? :(

What were the specific circumstances before this problem...did it start suddenly AFTER you performed some mods or maintenance...if you washed the bike for example, did you get water someplace where it should not have gone. Did you have the tank off and perhaps pinched a hose putting everything back together. Was it gradual over days or weeks, or after you "winterized" the bike for storage over 2-3 months due to the cold? :28:

Re: Duece still loading up

I think there needs to be a little more information. When loading up, are you saying the engine acts like it is starved for fuel, if so check the fuel filter in the tank, the lines, clamps etc. as well as loosen the filler cap slightly. Or is it that the engine starts fine when cold, but as the engine warms up, the idle falls lower and lower until it dies? :(

What were the specific circumstances before this problem...did it start suddenly AFTER you performed some mods or maintenance...if you washed the bike for example, did you get water someplace where it should not have gone. Did you have the tank off and perhaps pinched a hose putting everything back together. Was it gradual over days or weeks, or after you "winterized" the bike for storage over 2-3 months due to the cold? :28:
By loading up I mean running really rich, to much fuel speedo still does not work either.

Your problem could be related to the speedo not working like the sensor on the trans. If it doesn't give the info to the ECM all functions will be off as a result. Quite often they have to be replaced instead of cleaning.

:D Thank You Very much. I finally found time and money to replace Speed Sensor. Every thing works perfect. Just in time this, California weather is gonna be clear and 63 degrees on Saturday. I'm outta here. I love this web site. Special thanks to GLIDER, and NEWHD74FAN.

Runs lean under load

Hello again,Thanks for all the help last year. My 2001 Duece,fuel injected started acting just like it did back when it had a hole in the fuel hose inside the the tank that You good people helped Me diagnose and repair 1 1/2 years ago, so just in case I damaged the new one I replaced both hoses and filter again,problem did not change.what happens is at certain rpm mostly going up any incline the engine seems to lean out,kind of spudders,but I can accelorate throught it exactly like I could when I had the hole in the fuel hose.higher altitude seems to be worse. any and all HELP would be appreciated, thanks. Babe Seals

re: Runs lean under load

Can you refresh or memory on what if any mods have been done to you bike. Are you running any type of piggyback fueler?

Back