free website stats program Loading a FatBoy on a 5x8 landscape trailer | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Loading a FatBoy on a 5x8 landscape trailer

The crash bar will hold the bike just fine, I would be a bit worried that strap may rub on the cowbell and or front fender JMO

Yeah I forgot to ask about alternative attachment points for the front. I have a few inches to the fender on both straps but the right fork does rub. I'd like to keep the fairing on just to protect the bike a bit but will remove it if I need to attach to the fork above the triple tree. I'll also be wrapping a coated cable through the frame of the bike and trailer to lock it in place for added security.

Should I add backup straps or anything just in case? These are brand new straps and don't have any points where they are rubbing edges to fray.

I went to harbor freight and they didn't have any in chocks stock as I was getting a spare and the straps. May just have to get it off the internet.

If you have a wooden floor you can make your own chock out of 4x4:s

img_1814_572.jpg

Look here

Jack, I have essentially already done that but that style doesn't hold the bike up. I was assuming the chocks folks were talking about would hold the bike up while I was strapping and unstrapping it. Absolutely necessary, no, but seems quite convenient.

You say there is a couple of inches between the straps and fender. Just to make sure, you can wrap a towel around the fender under the straps & tie it. Straps vibrate like crazy at speed and ruin paint in a jiffy.

The chock from HF is what I have as well, and I won't trailer from home without it:D, seriously, when the bike is driven into the chock, the bar flips up to capture the front wheel. Put the tie downs on the engine guards pulling towards the front of the trailer and back straps on the swing arm upright, just don't over tighten anything, a good snug fit will do. As suggested by Jack, check the straps when you stop for gas, then just forget about it and enjoy the trip.

One other thing, put a fob somewhere on the bike or the flashers will go off:)

The chock from HF is what I have as well, and I won't trailer from home without it:D, seriously, when the bike is driven into the chock, the bar flips up to capture the front wheel. Put the tie downs on the engine guards pulling towards the front of the trailer and back straps on the swing arm upright, just don't over tighten anything, a good snug fit will do. As suggested by Jack, check the straps when you stop for gas, then just forget about it and enjoy the trip.

One other thing, put a fob somewhere on the bike or the flashers will go off:)

Couldn't agree more, when I moved to Colorado I did what gator508 suggested and my scoot never moved an inch. I had an enclosed trailer and checked it twice at gas stops, it never moved so I forgot about it the rest of the trip.:D

Back