free website stats program Loading a FatBoy on a 5x8 landscape trailer | Harley Davidson Forums

Loading a FatBoy on a 5x8 landscape trailer

Dan.1977P

I'm planning a move from VA to UT and will be driving the van. I'm wondering if it would be worth the effort to put a tow hitch on it and pull our landscape trailer with the motorcycle and probably our washer and dryer loaded too. Should be well within the limits of the trailer and van but I'm just not sure if the bike would stay put. There are tie downs on the frame and I'd happily put down a wood deck and an more anchors if that would do any good. I have a buddy who has borrowed this trailer to pick his sportster up a couple times but those have been 20 mile trips max.
Is this a bad idea? It's $700 to ship it even with the hog discount.

I moved from Minnesota to Colorado and hauled mine in a enclosed trailer. I did a 4 point tie down with 2 inch ratchet straps and it never moved a bit. I checked it a few time at gas stops and never had to re -tighten. Check out the self help section as well, I've got a post there about shipping. My brother in law has a freight forwarding company and should be able to beat the price you quoted.

I forgot to mention I also mounted a chock to the floor and that kept the bike straight up and locked into place.

Make sure the tires on your trailer are rated high enough for the load, also that they are in good condition. Make sure the wheel bearings are well lubed. And take in consideration the tire size and speed you will be traveling. The smaller the tire, the faster they will spin on the Interstate. You don't need to re-deck the entire trailer, a 2" x 6" x 8 ft. under the tires will displace the weight. Chocks and straps in good condition add to the safety of your bike.

The wheel chock is the best thing to haul with that keeps motorcycles from moving around . I hauled my 13 limited from Broken Arrow OK to Ohio with no problem at all . You can pick a wheel chock up on E-bay cheap around $45 with shipping . If your moving in the Spring-Summer then a open trailer works .I would not haul in open trailer in the winter time thru states that put road salt down .

One stop shopping at Harbor freight to get all the accessories needed to securely attach bike to trailer.....
If properly secured and protected no need to worry for a incident could very well happen with the professional movers..
The key is to occasionally check tie downs as you travel...

Keeping bike out of weather would be a better choice of trailer..

One stop shopping at Harbor freight to get all the accessories needed to securely attach bike to trailer.....
If properly secured and protected no need to worry for a incident could very well happen with the professional movers..
The key is to occasionally check tie downs as you travel...

Keeping bike out of weather would be a better choice of trailer..

Harbor freight is a good choice, thats where I bought my chock and I believe it was less then 50 bucks. They also have a good assortment of hold down straps.

Back