free website stats program Little Speedometer help please :) | Harley Davidson Forums

Little Speedometer help please :)

egreene429

I just purchased a Dyna SuperGlide 2001 model, and while riding last night my speed-o dropped down to 10 mph, then quit. The odo went out as well. The backlight is still lit, and after searching the forum, tried the speed-o cleaning (have the sensor), still nothing. I also tried to enter the speed-o diagnostics and nothing...... Now once or twice when turning on the switch, the odo would come up for a few seconds (about 5) then blank out again. I plan on taking it apart and testing the switch, as well as the connections, but..... i wanted to consult the experts to see if there is anything i should be looking for that i may otherwise miss. Any input would be great. Hope i supplied enough info for someone to help me diagnose. Thx
:newsmile096:

Aside from a wiring problem the sensor usually will require replacement. Cleaning sometimes helps but is only temporary.

Just a little follow-up from lunch: Went home, pulled off the cover, cleaned the reset switch out(it was ruff inside, but still functional-ohmed out), pulled out the sensor- put it back in, it did a dyno sweep once, and the odometer came back up, but still no speed on the speed-o. Sounds like i gotta get a sensor :(

Check your battery while then engine is running to test the voltage regulator. I f it is putting out to many volts it causes the speedo to go haywire. I believe the maximum voltage should be 14.6 volts.
My Fatboy had simular symptoms and I replaced the sensor and still had problems. I took it to the dealer and the said it was the voltage regulator. They replaced it and no more problems.
hope this helps,
Randall

Back