free website stats program Little red light | Harley Davidson Forums

Little red light

kemo

R.I.P
I fixed the little red light today. It started as a intermittent light and then came on steady, checked the codes last weekend. 41, 42, and 56. Ordered new crank sensor and cam sensor and changed out today. I was suprised to have the light go out without a visit to the dealer. I think I could of got away with just the cam sensor. I checked the magnets and the cam sensor was weak compared to the crank sensor.
kemo

Good for you, aint it fun and rewarding to be able to fix your own bike, Jack

no fuzz on them or anything .. i dont know if you have changed the tensioners or not but read when they started having probs it took the cam sensor out first

Jack, it is nice to be able to do your own fixin. Bud I did the roller chain conversion over a year ago, 20000 miles. The cam sensor magnet was weak no sludge or fuzz on them.
kemo

The liight went out by itself after the repairs. I was suprised because I thought that a trip to the dealer was going to be needed. On 2000 bikes only the dealer can erase the codes.
kemo

If I remember right they use The Scanalizer seems only H D can get that tool even tho it is made by Kent Moore, or OTC HMMMM monopoly

The cam sensor is under the old points cover but I still had to take that rotten front pipe off and pull the wire harnesses through the sheathing. I wish that I had my alignment pins here so I could have checked my oil pump alignment while I had that pipe off. I guess that can wait till mid April when I get back home. I always thought that when one of the sensors went bad that the engine would not start but from what I have read the system basically goes into a limp mode taking readings from the map sensor etc. The bike seems to run better cold idle, I haven't taken it out for a good run. Jack we will have to get together for that coffee soon.
kemo

Good deal Kemo getting the deed done. At least you had codes to help point you in the right direction. I was not so lucky and had to do the down and dirty approach. Cheers and keep warm, winter officially starts next week!:small3d014:

Back