free website stats program Liquid Moly Blackstone report BUBBIE | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Liquid Moly Blackstone report BUBBIE

Moral of the story - A bad wearing engine is a bad wearing engine, a different oil isn't going to save it.

I know that this is fairly old post, but one thing that was overlooked in this analysis is that the oil fell horribly out of grade.

If i am reading the report correctly the cSt of the used oil at 100C is 17.81.

This oil is a 10w60, so unused, new, the viscosity at 100C should be between 21.9 and <26.1 cSt

For reference a 50wt new is between 16.3 and <21.9 cSt.

The oil when drained was a very light 50 at 17.81 cSt.

I would find a more shear stable oil.

My 2 cents.

Ken

I think you are reading what is not there...

Report compared the oil at 100C should be between 15.5 and 19.4.... 17.81 is in between the values they show...

All new 10w60 LiquiMoly oil n filter on/for second report...

I have the second report, I'll post here after I take off my personal information...

It is a Much longer ride:D

6,111.0 miles under HOT conditions Never under 80*...

It shows 17.14 Not much lower than the first test... But lot more miles...:D

signed....BUBBIE

BUBBIE, that is the average for USED oil.

NEW oil viscosity, oil that is right out of the bottle, is between 21.9 and <26.1 at 100C

Ken

Report compared the oil at 100C should be between 15.5 and 19.4.... 17.81 is in between the values they show...

I have the second report, I'll post here after I take off my personal information...

signed....BUBBIE

If the report shows 17.14, at 100C, it still fell out of grade.

It is now a light 50.

If the report shows 17.14, at 100C, it still fell out of grade.

It is now a light 50.

I guess I'm a bit confused by this statement. Don't all oils break down and "fall out of grade"? If the oil that is being tested still was within the "light 50" doesn't that mean that it is still in the range of what most of us start with? I believe that if I am not too far off you're saying that the tested oil is still, at 5000+ miles within the range of what most of start off with when we change oil. What you seem to be stating is that the tested oil is somehow inferior.

I guess I'm a bit confused by this statement. Don't all oils break down and "fall out of grade"? If the oil that is being tested still was within the "light 50" doesn't that mean that it is still in the range of what most of us start with? I believe that if I am not too far off you're saying that the tested oil is still, at 5000+ miles within the range of what most of start off with when we change oil. What you seem to be stating is that the tested oil is somehow inferior.
Oils do break down, but it should still be in grade when you change it. Most oils do not.

BUBBIE purchased a 10w60 and in 4,500 miles it was a light 50.

Imagine what the oils viscosity would be if you changed it at the Harley recommended interval of 5,000 miles, it could be a 40.

Yes, you are correct, Bubbie's oil when he changed it is what most people install new, but as I stated, BUBBIE'S oil started life as a 60.

Ken

This is 17.14 at 6,111.0 miles... Don't see where you are getting the Viscosity of 50... IF it were a Problem Oil, Blackstone would have mentioned a Problem with it NOT saying how good it was doing.

signed....BUBBIE

I agree that oil breaks down over time BUT there are several factors you have to take into consideration. I don't think it breaks down as fast as you believe it does Ken especially a synthetic oil.

A engine with over 6100 miles and the extreme temps that they have in AZ, the numbers Blackstone quoted look pretty darn good to me. I agree with BUBBIE, if Blackstone had any concerns they would have mentioned it, that's what they do. JMHO.

This is 17.14 at 6,111.0 miles... Don't see where you are getting the Viscosity of 50... IF it were a Problem Oil, Blackstone would have mentioned a Problem with it NOT saying how good it was doing.

signed....BUBBIE

BUBBIE, an oil viscosity of 17.14 centistokes at 100 Celsius is a 50 weight oil

Back