Liquid Gasket

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by brownfoxx1, Aug 4, 2011.

1. brownfoxx1

brownfoxx1 Active Member

is it worth the risk? go to NAPA and buy some gasket material and make your oun. with a new gasket on top. then next time you will have a gasket that can be re-used.
    but unless the two mateing surfaces are CNC smooth. i wouldn't chance it.
    just my thoughts

2. glider

glider Veteran Member

If the gasket is reasonably new and in decent shape, you can put just a skin of the gasket maker on the side that is exposed assuming that it is stuck to the cover. Don't over do it though, just a thin skin is all that is needed.

3. glider

glider Veteran Member

If you don't over apply it, there won't be much squeeze out.:s

4. kman96ultra

kman96ultra Member

we use a permetex #518 aniarobic sealer red in color,the gasket sealer only
    seals in the presence of air but between the two mating surface's it stays
    liquid and fill gaps up to .005 to .010 and does not shear like silicone.and
    works great.....:s

hope this helps!!!

5. dieselguy65

dieselguy65 Account Removed

that #518 is really good stuff. I use Loctite 515 (think thats the number) really good stuff. Flange sealant/gasket eliminator.

6. HarryB737

HarryB737 Junior Member

I'm sure you thought of this ...but did you recheck your oil level ?? :s

7. R_W_B

R_W_B Senior Member

Most folks say not to use any of that thick goopy gasket stuff. That stuff kinda went out of style bout 35 yrs ago even though they still sell it. Some folks even say no gasket sealer of any kind at all, just the gasket.

I personally use a thin gasket sealer (it's very thin kinda like contact cement). It holds the gaskets in place while installing and I kinda always felt like it gave an extra bit of seal on old surfaces that might not be totally smooth any more.

8. The4opps1

The4opps1 Junior Member

I have never just used a liquid gasket by itself, but most of the time, i do apply a thin coat to each sie as Glider mentioned. This technique is particulalry useful in situations where leaks are a real pain to redo. I recently put a new outer primary cover gasket on my Ultra and did this as extra insurance.

9. CropdusterDoug

CropdusterDoug Member

It would be nice if somebody started producing a red silicone re-useable gasket for the chain case cover. Aircraft engines have red silicone gaskets available for valve covers that will last for years no matter how many times you pull the covers off.

10. geezer

geezer Senior Member Contributor

I have re-used the primary cover gasket a few times, got tired of paying $40 for the gasket every time I checked my compensator. I just clean it off, make sure both sides are dry and clean the primary and cover and button it up again. Never had a leak.