free website stats program limp mode | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

limp mode

Absolutely. You need to get it sorted out.

This is not a situation where if you don't know it won't hurt you. You could end up loosing all throttle response and getting stranded while out riding.

Dealer says they need it for three days :(
WAP.gif

I took mine to hd and they could find nothing wrong with it, but, I followed the advice I read on this site and pulled up the codes,(same as yours), and then cleared them. Haven't had another problem since.
I just fired up my new ultra in my driveway and it went into limp mode. Shut it off restart and still in limp mode. Shut it off for 30 seconds fire it up and ran down the road no problem. What just happened? Bike has 350 miles on it. All I did before that was replace the windshield.
WAP.gif

Dealer says they need it for three days :(
WAP.gif

Clear the codes and use the dielectric grease on the TCA plug and it should take care of your problem. Then if the problem continues take it into the dealer. It only takes a few minutes to put the grease on the plug.

I had the same problem with my 09 FLHTCU,Dealer could not finrd a problem,I told them about the TSB posted on this site,On the 3rd visit they finnaly cleaned the TAC and PCM connector and used dialectric grease on the connectors and it has been good for 3,000 miles,It would origanally act up between 600 and 1,000 miles.

You have to stop and realize what your actually dealing with here. Your just not dealing with dry contacts or moisture creeping into an electrical connector. Your dealing with repetitive motion or vibrating of the contact points, over and over again until erosion of the electrical contact takes place. Packing the connector does not eliminate the micro-motion or contact point pitting. It still is happening, just at a slower rate (especially on the twist grip). Once the contacts are pitted, just lubing them does not fix them. Take a GOOD look at the pictures in the service bulletin. You can't fix that with just lube. They must be replaced.

With gold flashed contacts it's even worse if they get pitted. Gold flashing is like 3 micro-inches thick. Once your through the gold, it's over. If all the dealership does is "pack & go" of the connectors, I bet the problem will return at a later date (after warranty is up).

i have a friend at the Harley tech school we went to he is now an instructor and he had luck cycling the ignition three times with 10 sec delay in between to reset the sensor might try and see if it works he said that if you throttle upon starting it throws the sensor off.

Happened to me. I cleared the code so I could ride it to the dealer. They couldn't get it to do it again. Mech told me that if u twist the throttle even slightly during the start sequence it will register a false TPS correlation error problem and activate limp mode.
WAP.gif

Happened to me. I cleared the code so I could ride it to the dealer. They couldn't get it to do it again. Mech told me that if u twist the throttle even slightly during the start sequence it will register a false TPS correlation error problem and activate limp mode.
WAP.gif

U know that makes sense to me somehow.

This is a problem, have a 08 sg going up a steep hill banking bike went into limp mode no power causing bike to crash.
don't let hd get away with this it may cost you your life.

Back