free website stats program limp mode | Harley Davidson Forums

limp mode

hotrodjohn

I just fired up my new ultra in my driveway and it went into limp mode. Shut it off restart and still in limp mode. Shut it off for 30 seconds fire it up and ran down the road no problem. What just happened? Bike has 350 miles on it. All I did before that was replace the windshield.
WAP.gif

Was the bike cold sitting in your driveway or had you just shut it off?

New as in '11 new? I recall seeing some other threads talking about problems with engines going into limp mode. I suggest calling the Dealership where you got it and discussing it with the Service Manager (not the person who answers the phone at the counter). See if you should bring it in for a reflash of the ECU.

TQ

Was the bike cold sitting in your driveway or had you just shut it off?

I had rode 50 miles or so pulled in garage to swap out the windshield. Rolled out and fired it up and limp.
WAP.gif

I just pulled p1511 and p2101 out of the codes on the odometer ?
WAP.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I just fired up my new ultra in my driveway and it went into limp mode.

Then it had to post a code. My guess would be a throttle by wire summing voltage error off the twist grip or throttle by pots (twin TPS sensors). P2135 P2138 etc.

Start with checking what's in error log.

I just pulled p1511 and p2101 out of the codes on the odometer ?
WAP.gif

1511- limp mode
2101- summing on throttle body pots

http://www.hdtimeline.com/archive/index.php/t-27238.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Most of the problems with the bike going into limp mode start at the TCA (throttle control actuator) the plug is located to the rear of the air filter. Putting a little dielectric grease on the plug where the pins go in may take care of your problem, it took care of mine.

Sounds like electrical/ computer gremlins.

Only a Gremlin if you don't know what causes it. It's micro-motion fretting. That much is known.

Now it may be a Gremlin to the Dealership because they fail to read the service Bulletins. That remains to be seen.

Back