free website stats program Limp Mode? | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Limp Mode?

I ride a '09 Road King....23,000 miles...love the bike. Last week I went to start it and got NO throttle response...five starts later, it ran fine,but I did take it to the local Harley dealer. It is still there, diagnosed with a "Limp Mode" problem. This seems to be a problem with many new wireless throttle bikes. Any advice? Shouldn't Harley cover this with a recall of some sort?

When I was studying this problem I found it to be prevalent with the 2007-2008 year Touring models. I suppose there could be some carryover to the next year?

I ride a '09 Road King....23,000 miles...love the bike. Last week I went to start it and got NO throttle response...five starts later, it ran fine,but I did take it to the local Harley dealer. It is still there, diagnosed with a "Limp Mode" problem. This seems to be a problem with many new wireless throttle bikes. Any advice? Shouldn't Harley cover this with a recall of some sort?

Read the below link:

Limp mode - check engine light on - Harley Davidson Community

This happened to me a couple of months ago. Codes indicated it was bad communication between the throttle body and ECM. When the sensors don't get the information they are expecting, when expected, the default is to shut down to limp home mode.

My 2009 Electra Glide was doing this at random. One on-the-street solution was to stop and shut down for long enough for the ECM to reset. Watch your RPM and MPH needles and wait for the "bump." Restart and ride on.

One forum guru said it was deterioration of the multi-pin connections, causing loss of electrical continuity. I took those apart and added dialectic grease to all connections. Don't know whether it helped, but I haven't had any limp home episodes since.

This happened to me a couple of months ago. Codes indicated it was bad communication between the throttle body and ECM. When the sensors don't get the information they are expecting, when expected, the default is to shut down to limp home mode.

My 2009 Electra Glide was doing this at random. One on-the-street solution was to stop and shut down for long enough for the ECM to reset. Watch your RPM and MPH needles and wait for the "bump." Restart and ride on.

One forum guru said it was deterioration of the multi-pin connections, causing loss of electrical continuity. I took those apart and added dialectic grease to all connections. Don't know whether it helped, but I haven't had any limp home episodes since.

Harley Davidson Community This is one of the BEST things we all can do to ALL electrical components on ALL of our vehicles, special note to those who ride in the rain a lot:s

HMCVETT444 what was the resolution of your problem? My bike is still in with a limp mode problem and they are still trying to figure out what's wrong.

HMCVETT444 what was the resolution of your problem? My bike is still in with a limp mode problem and they are still trying to figure out what's wrong.

may have to wait a bit for answer - HMC....hasnt logged on since 9/4! Hope you get yours figured out soon..

Back