free website stats program Limp Mode? | Harley Davidson Forums

Limp Mode?

vtwinrider

Greetings all

After having some trouble with my 2006 FLHTCUI running on 1 cylinder, a friend said that it sounds like "limp mode". Does anyone have info on this or know if the 2006 injected cruisers have this mode?

Thanks in advance.

That is very interesting. I have a friend of mine that has the same bike you have, and they were out on a trip not long before Leesburg bikefest.

The group of them were riding down the road when his starting putting along on 1 cylinder. They though it was bad gas so they drained the tank.

Well to their surprise, it was not the gas, but inside the fuel tank there was a small cap that looked like this.

5632438592_9d6e83d964_m.jpg

When he had this replaced, the mechanic said this was the 4th one he has replaced in our area due to ethanol gas eating away at these plastic parts.

His ran on 1 cylinder for a while and then just shut down.

gallery

Limp Mode is a default that the ECU returns to when there is a component failure. It is designed to let bike run in a reduced performance mode so that you can get home or to dealer.

Limp Mode is a default that the ECU returns to when there is a component failure. It is designed to let bike run in a reduced performance mode so that you can get home or to dealer.

Correct. I was also told that if the bike gets too hot for instance sitting in a lot of traffic that this would also make the bike cut out a cylinder to prevent damage. Is this correct?

Thanks for all of the input! I especially appreciate pictures, all great things to consider. Here are the codes, it sounds like voltage issues but I am not sure what to make of them.

Under "P"
PO108
PO113
PO118
PO112
PN 34309-06

S-None
PN 68920-old

SP-PN 61005

T-None
PN 67348-04A

Thanks again to everyone, I have learned more about my bike in the last 2 days than I have in the last 4 years!

map sensor might be shot but with rest of the codes id check for overcharging or a broker wire since they all say high or open

Correct. I was also told that if the bike gets too hot for instance sitting in a lot of traffic that this would also make the bike cut out a cylinder to prevent damage. Is this correct?

Only bikes with the Engine Idle Temperature Management System (EITMS) will do this. I don't know what year HD introduced this (2009?). My 2010 RKC has it. There are a series of programmed "conditions" that have to be met before this will engage (speed, throttle position, engine temperature, engine speed).

Limp Mode is part of the Electronic Throttle Control (ETC) system introduced to the Touring line I think in 2009(?). Commonly referred to as "fly by wire". An Electronic Control Module (ECM) controls the fuel injection/TB from the wireless throttle. If the system malfunctions, there are a series of backups, of which the limp mode (max 25mph) is one.

After having some trouble with my 2006 FLHTCUI running on 1 cylinder, a friend said that it sounds like "limp mode". Does anyone have info on this or know if the 2006 injected cruisers have this mode?

The way it is worded, it almost sounds like your trouble is past tense and you were just inquiring to what "limp mode" was. Does the bike currently sound like it's running on 1 cylinder?

Back