free website stats program Limp mode - check engine light on | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Limp mode - check engine light on

Yes that is correct if you are riding and the bike goes into the "Limp Mode" you can clear the codes, some times you may have to clear the codes a few times but when the codes are cleared the bike will run normally. There are certain conditions that this may not work for but if it is a TBW issue knowing how to clear the codes will get you home.

After having the bike go into limp mode yesterday (now the bike console shows the P1511 and P2135 error codes), I decided to give up a ride in Central Italy, now knowing what the problem could be due to.
Provided that the problem hasn't shown off after yesterday morning (yesterday evening and today the bike started up properly). Are you saying that clearing the error codes could allow me to attend a 1000 km run?

Giovanni

After having the bike go into limp mode yesterday (now the bike console shows the P1511 and P2135 error codes), I decided to give up a ride in Central Italy, now knowing what the problem could be due to.
Provided that the problem hasn't shown off after yesterday morning (yesterday evening and today the bike started up properly). Are you saying that clearing the error codes could allow me to attend a 1000 km run?

Giovanni

Yes you should be able to run the 1000 km run but before you do take the time to clean the TCA plug and apply dielectric grease. The cleaning and dielectric grease was HD original fix until they could find out what the problem was, in 2010 HD started to install the new style pins in the TCA plug.

So you say now there's an official fix by the MOCO for this kind of problem?
Is it a matter of substituting the old pins with new ones also in the 2009 models?

Thank you very much,
Giovanin

It's me again. ;-)
Yesterday I took the bike from the dealer. He did some cleaning and greasing job to several connectors (the TCA and the ECM ones), according to the TT418 technical bulletin. More, he ordered a replacement for the bunch of wires that run under the saddle (with a more effective connector). Then he reset the error code on the bike.
I rode some 130 km since then and everything seems to be fine.
The delaer confirmed that no official recall has been issued by the MOCO to cover this problem. I'll write a complain letter to point out that such a (well know) issue can be life-threatening a lot more than the tank bolt my bike was recalled for two years ago.

Giovanni

I have also ridden my bike about 300 miles with no problems.

But I am not making any long distance runs until this happens again, and I know it will. The limp mode condition started the day I bought it. It was returned to the dealer who claims there was a nikked wire. 6000 miles after that(last week) the bike went into limp mode.

I think my 2008 is a lemon but since I am not the original owner, I can't claim on the lemon law.

This happens to most everyone who has had their bike for awhile. It is upsetting the first time it happens because you are taken completely by surprize. Like others have said, take off the "football" air cleaner cover. Then wiggle the plug you will clearly see. This will get you started and on the road again. When you get home, pull the plug out and put some die-electric grease on the pins before you plug it back in. You will probably be good to go for another year or so before it happens again. I believe it is caused by a cable which is a little too short and what with vibrations and such it can break the connection for a milisecond, thus the limp mode. It has happened to me 3 times and each time I went over a pretty big bump in the roadway.

My last bike was an Evo-motored Road King that I now really miss. I put 42K miles on that and never had any problems with it other than a turn signal module needing replacement. That is the honest truth.

I do agree that the wires leading to the connector you are referring to are too short. But when my check engine light went on recently (2 weeks ago) I was on smooth (by NJ standards) pavement. What burns me up is that the MOCO has heard and know about this problem enough to warrant a recall, IMO! I just hope that the next time my bike goes into limp mode I don't have a tractor trailer breathing down my neck!

My last bike was an Evo-motored Road King that I now really miss. I put 42K miles on that and never had any problems with it other than a turn signal module needing replacement. That is the honest truth.

I do agree that the wires leading to the connector you are referring to are too short. But when my check engine light went on recently (2 weeks ago) I was on smooth (by NJ standards) pavement. What burns me up is that the MOCO has heard and know about this problem enough to warrant a recall, IMO! I just hope that the next time my bike goes into limp mode I don't have a tractor trailer breathing down my neck!

Clean and apply dielectric grease as described then take it to your dealership and have them replace the plug. Easy peasy!!

Mavagrand, when you say the plug, do you mean the pins in the plug, or the male and female part of the plug? The pins have already been replaced with the upgraded pins.

Back