free website stats program Limp mode - check engine light on | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Limp mode - check engine light on

Thanks Mavagrand! When you say spray "in there" do you mean in both end, male and female? I assume that this is now part of your maintenance schedule?

I have been doing a lot of surfing about these 2 codes and have found that this seems like a simple fix and also read a lot about the MOCO receiving tons of feedback just like this on the 08's through the 2010 Touring models only. I am really surprised that they haven't done anything about it but read that they may have released a service bulleting (TT410). I read about that and the following (in red) from posts on V-Twin Forum:

I have a 2008 FLHX and to the best of my memory I had the same code. it wound up being the lock on the ECM plug wasn't locked and throwing that code along with a few other codes. it's under your seat and it's a small arm that locks into place on the side of the plug.

hope this is the answer to your problem, as sometimes it's an easy fix and not the most complex one.

I am sure I will post more after I give the above suggestion from Mavagrand as to how I made out. :newsmile031:

The problem is in the Throttle Control Actuator (TCA) plug that is located to the rear of the air cleaner. As mentoned before clean the connection and use dielectric grease on the plugs and you will be back in buuiness. Print out the proceedure on how to check and clear codes and keep it withyou on the bike that way if the bike goes into "Limp Mode" again you can clear the codes and get rolling again.

Attachments

• S7301162.jpg
    S7301162.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 110
Thanks Mavagrand! When you say spray "in there" do you mean in both end, male and female? I assume that this is now part of your maintenance schedule?

Yes, both ends of the plug, make sure the cleaner you use is safe for plastics. Then coat both ends with dielectric grease. I will be doing this every 5k now. FYI, I've probably put 1k miles on the bike since I've cleaned the plug and have no issues.

Hey ironmark, in your first reply you mention keeping the procedure for accessing and clearing codes on the bike somewhere. I understand this but are you saying that if I really got stuck I can clear the code and make it to my destination?

Thanks again to all!:D

Yes, both ends of the plug, make sure the cleaner you use is safe for plastics. Then coat both ends with dielectric grease. I will be doing this every 5k now. FYI, I've probably put 1k miles on the bike since I've cleaned the plug and have no issues.

I just got off the phone with service at my local HD Dealer. They told me that if I replace the pins in the connector which will require 6 pins part #72663-11, this should solve the problem. Anyone know about this?

I just got off the phone with service at my local HD Dealer. They told me that if I replace the pins in the connector which will require 6 pins part #72663-11, this should solve the problem. Anyone know about this?

The same 2 codes came up on my '08 Street glide and went into limp mode, within the 1st 2 years because it was still under factory warranty, and the dealer replaced those six molex pins in the plug. I think I had around 25,000-30,000 miles on the bike at the time. I now have 63,000+ miles with no codes or issues. Maybe due, huh.:D

Hey ironmark, in your first reply you mention keeping the procedure for accessing and clearing codes on the bike somewhere. I understand this but are you saying that if I really got stuck I can clear the code and make it to my destination?

Yes that is correct if you are riding and the bike goes into the "Limp Mode" you can clear the codes, some times you may have to clear the codes a few times but when the codes are cleared the bike will run normally. There are certain conditions that this may not work for but if it is a TBW issue knowing how to clear the codes will get you home.

HD has issued a Trouble Service Bulletin (TSB) TT418A that explained the fix for the TCA pins. HD stated that the pin replacement is the only correct fix for the TBW issues is to re-pin the TCA plug. So if the HD dealer wants to charge you to do this repair then you should bring to their attention that HD has a TSB on the pin replacement and repair cost should be covered by HD.

Yes that is correct if you are riding and the bike goes into the "Limp Mode" you can clear the codes, some times you may have to clear the codes a few times but when the codes are cleared the bike will run normally. There are certain conditions that this may not work for but if it is a TBW issue knowing how to clear the codes will get you home.

HD has issued a Trouble Service Bulletin (TSB) TT418A that explained the fix for the TCA pins. HD stated that the pin replacement is the only correct fix for the TBW issues is to re-pin the TCA plug. So if the HD dealer wants to charge you to do this repair then you should bring to their attention that HD has a TSB on the pin replacement and repair cost should be covered by HD.

Thanks for all of the information ironmark! I hope I can get some satisfaction!:bigsmiley12:

Back