free website stats program Limits listed in 09' Service Manual are 0.4mm or 0.016" | Harley Davidson Forums

Limits listed in 09' Service Manual are 0.4mm or 0.016"

tlippy

I have just been trying to make sense out of the measurements listed in my 09' Service Manual and something doesn't jive.
Yesterday I went to Cascade Harley and measured the actual thickness of the front and rear new pads. Both measured 3mm. 3mm = 0.12". I think Harley got their cm and mm confused when they printed the manual or else they really mean that you can take the pads to the metal - almost. Me - I'm going to replace the pads at their half life = 1.5mm or 0.6"
Anyone have the "real" answer?

If this helps, my Service Manual for the '07 Dyna says to "replace brake pads if brake pad friction material on either the front or rear caliper is worn to 0.04 in. (1.02 mm) or less above the backing plate."

So, replacement at 0.06 in. (1.5 mm) seems reasonable. 0.0625 in. is 1/16 of an inch, about the thickness of a penny.

SilverFoXD has the right idea...no need or desire to go closer to wear linings down to the backing plate than that. The lining helps to ensure even swept area and prevents the backing plates from scoring the rotating discs during heavy stops. To try and squeeze an extra 1000 miles on the pads is silly, besides the fact you know how much time you have so you can buy them on your terms as many places have to ORDER them or you'll pay list price for the good H-D OEM ones (they can no longer discount them by MOCO policy, unless they had them in stock prior to January 1st 2012):(

Back