free website stats program limited vision on "fairinged" bikes? | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

limited vision on "fairinged" bikes?

Big concern with fairings has always been the "clarity" issue for looking thru and "blind spot" below around instrument panel and below.

Honestly, modern technology has removed most of the problems with the 1st who insist on clear/distortion free look-thru vision. Only problem with that is if sudden temperature/humidity change happens like a fogbank in the mountains it can instantly become opaque and cause serious accident. This is why most "seasoned" riders want the shield high enough, but still able to look over it at a few inches below the horizon.

The 2nd is really a non-issue again, with only new riders' initial bad habit looking down to see the front wheel which is downright dangerous. It is kind of like older people with failing vision insisting on seeing their feet on the ground and in the process fall because they condition their balance with head down, to see and maneuver, not practicing and degrade their natural balancing organs in the inner ear in their head level they used for years.

Notice that pro racers when traversing tight curves, will heel the bike way over but their heads are steady, held up and level, letting their inner ears do their balancing and their eyes focused on the road ahead, and mentally concentrating on survival tactics...

The way one person put it that I still remember: If it's close enough for the fairing to block your view, it's too late to do anything about it. :42: At 55-60 mph yesterday I struck a medium sized dog that ran from my left, to right .. into my 09 EGC. As the above comment declares, if it's that close, forget-about-it! Thankfully, even with XM blaring tunes from the roaring 40's, I was able to keep my wits about me to steer firmly forward, rather than take the gravel shoulder with about a 4 ft. ditch. My EGC fairing played no part in not seeing what was about to happen. As others have said, "you do get use to it". The dog, regretfully was DRT. (dead right there) My scooter suffered a defective front brake, and is now at the local H-D shop (Hot Rod HD, Muskegon) for repairs. :42:

Back