Like Willie Nelson…..On the Road Again

Discussion in 'General OFF TOPIC' started by Gold4484, Jul 26, 2013.

1. Gold4484

Gold4484 Active Member Contributor

I must say, it has been a L-O-N-G 11 months! But after hoping and planning, and modding my StreetBob, I am riding again! The last 8 weeks have been the hardest, as when I do some work on the bike, either the weather or other priorities prevent it. BUT, after all mods done, trial and error involving taking off, a little more fabrication, and putting back on, and test riding for almost 400 miles,everything is still working. I am riding AGAIN!
    I had put a Pingle electric shifter on when I bought it new in '07 for a very different reason. This past winter, I searched and found parts that fit on a Heritage would fit on my shift linkage. So I had to modify those parts to fit the linkage of the Pingle. So now I have a heel/toe shifter AND the electric shift working together.
    Only problem I have at TIMES, is with a prosthetic foot, I don't have any feeling of how hard I am pushing down on the levers. I am learning to be a little more gentle! :) Now after learning and concentrating, I don't have a problem finding neutral.
    Now only thing left to do, is get an extender for my stand, as it is a tad cumbersome to twist my foot to reach it.
    I guess you can say, this is a GREAT 50th anniversary present to me. Started riding when I was 14, and now 64, that means 50 years of riding some sort of 2 wheel motorized machine.
    I guess I can truly say I am in 'HOG' heaven! :yahoo

2. fin_676

fin_676 Experienced Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

Good to hear that you are after this long period finally back on the road i am sure with time practise and further tweaking it will get easier

3. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

:s That is such great news, you have a strong will to ride and I hope you all the best :rider
  4. mat 60

mat 60 Senior Member

Most people would have given up riding..That said I think its very cool that with lots of hard work you are riding again....Good for you brother.:)...Mat
  5. FLHTom1948

FLHTom1948 Member

Brian -i am sooo close to getting my '92 cop bike up and running; kudos to you for your fine effort!
  6. dbmg

dbmg Experienced Member

May you have continued success in all that you do Gold4484. And glad to hear you are back in the wind again... Congrats :s
  7. STEVE07

STEVE07 Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderators

That is great news! I have been following your journey back while not commenting much but this is GREAT!!!
  8. Gold4484

Gold4484 Active Member Contributor

Hey THANKS everyone! Been so long without, anymore when there is no rain, I'm gone! I even forget to shut the lights and computers off. :D
    The feeling of riding never leaves, but ya sure do miss it when you can't. Still have to figure an extension for the stand tho. One time today I had trouble getting to it. But guess what?.....I really don't care!
    Thanks for following Steve.

9. bc45

bc45 Active Member

Glad to hear you are riding again. My friend also has a prosthetic from just under knee, once he put a heel/ toe shifter on his fat boy and once he got used to it he dint need a electric shift.
  10. geezer

geezer Senior Member Contributor

I don't know if it would work for you but I tried a stand on from my wife's Deluxe because it has a long spike. It work's so much better I bought myself the Deluxe stand and that's what I use on my Heritage. Just a thought.