free website stats program lighting question | Harley Davidson Forums

lighting question

chipdavey

I am wanting to be able to shut off my lights, was wondering if anyone has been able to do this? I am pretty saavy with the wiring. I have a 06 Road King, and would like to be ablle to start the thing w/o the headlights on. I know there are some smart people on here. Thanks

Are you wanting to shut it off just while your starting the bike? If so, I'm sure someone can help you with that, although I think it is unnecessary.
If your wanting to run with your headlight off...can't do that..it is required to be on in all 50 states if your bike is on the highway.

On older models there was a yellow wire on the switch you could clip to have no lights on while cranking, Check your Manual for a wiring Schematic:s

If you have a good battery, shutting off the lights when starting isn't needed.
That engine is going to kick over quickly.
If your battery is so-so, someday it will fail when you're too far from home. Not good!

You can install a toggle switch in the black ground wire of the headlight plug. It will shut off the light until you turn it back on again. I installed one and mounted it into the rear of the headlight bucket but the switch can be mounted anywhere for easy access.

Back