free website stats program Lighting Problem. | Harley Davidson Forums

Lighting Problem.

elklander

I have an 09 Street Bob that developed a problem this past winter after I redid the front end (including new bars.) The problem was my left blinkers blinking fast after a few flashes and when I hit the brakes, the left rear blinker (STT) would go out. I checked all the bulbs and swapped them around and changed them and that wasn't it. I finally had time to take off the tank and check the wiring from the new bars and here's some stuff I found out.

- On the rear left blinker, when in acc, it lights up the running light filament when I apply the brakes. I unplugged both harnesses for the handle bar controls and still was using the running light filament for the brake light, then unplugged the left front blinker harness, still using the wrong filament, then after dissconnecting the other blinker neither tail light worked. *plugged all back in*

- I unplugged the head light and found no change.

- I unplugged the STT module and neither rear signal light worked, but the left blinker still flashed too fast after a few flashes.

- With the key still on I plugged the module back in, heard the connectors arc since the power was on. The quick flashing stopped, but still the problem with the left tail light.

Since it still flashed fast with the module unplugged I would assume its not the module. I checked all fuses, and tried the module reset procedure.

Any ideas whats going on here?

I have an 09 Street Bob that developed a problem this past winter after I redid the front end (including new bars.)

What do you mean by "redid the front end" and what else was included or replaced with the new bars? Was the bike in a wreck or did you just perform some modifications?

What do you mean by "redid the front end" and what else was included or replaced with the new bars? Was the bike in a wreck or did you just perform some modifications?

No, bike wasn't in any accidents.

I powdercoated the trees and tubes, and put on RSD king apes. Used wire extenders, but soldered, heat shrunk and used the mesh when I ran the wires. Also, since I unplugged all the harneses with no change, I wouldn't think it was anything up there.
WAP.gif

Sounds like you did a good job with the mods with being thourough enough to solder and use heat shrink, etc.

I am having a hard time wrapping my brain around what exactly is going on with your lights. When you say "I unplugged the STT module and neither rear signal light worked, but the left blinker still flashed too fast after a few flashes" are you reffering the the STT module as an aftermarket stop, tail and turn signal module or as the factory TSM module or something different? Also, how can neither rear signal work but the left blinker still flashed too fast? Are you saying that the left FRONT turn signal was still flashing fast?

Do you have any aftermarket or LED lights on the bike. When I installed the HD LED Turn Signals on my bike I had the left rear turn signals wires crossed (reversed polarity) and it created a symptom similar to yours but not exactly the same.

are all the wires in their correct spots in the connector housings maybe switched some when doing the handle bar swap.

Isn't there a ground on the front end? Maybe check this next:s

Where is the ground on the front end at? On the back of one of the trees? That's a possibility. Mabey I didn't think to shave off any of the coating to expose the metal. to properly ground it.

The lighting system is stock aside from amber lamps put in up front to coincide with the smoked lens kit.

Back