free website stats program Light short ?? | Harley Davidson Forums

Light short ??

I have a 96 Springer and I can ride at night for about 15 minures and my headlights and tail lights will go out. After about 30 seconds and they come back on for a while. It scarey to ride at night now.

I have a 96 Springer and I can ride at night for about 15 minures and my headlights and tail lights will go out. After about 30 seconds and they come back on for a while. It scarey to ride at night now.

I'll bet!! Sounds like a bad ground, broken wire making intermittent contact or a bare wire somewhere that is grounding out. I hate these kind of problems because they are very time consuming to find.

Good luck!

TQ

If you just leave it sitting, not running with the lights on for 15-20 minutes, do they go out, or only when you are running the motor/riding?

If it was a "short" circuit, heating and smoke would result. An intermittant open is likely the problem. If Glider's suggestion does not fix problem, you may want to check for corrosion at, in and around the battery, main breaker/fuse box next, clean all contacts and connections, coating with dielectric grease. If still present, work your way forward towards headlamp and controls or rearward for the live all the time license/taillight. You can "tap" around with the handle of an insulated screwdriver, along the main wiring harness up to and including the handlebar controls and headlight or tailight housing/wiring. Having a little history may help, but by now a lot of things in the circuit probably have been disturbed already, making intermittant problem solving even tougher.

Since it resets after time, a circuit breaker tripping would be my best guess may find a chafed wire or bad ground

Good luck and have patience

Bubba

Back